Need advice!

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Anawesomejet
Title: Hobby BBQ builder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Small time competitions for charity events we are "One more Beer BBQ"

Need advice!

Post by Anawesomejet » February 3rd, 2020, 1:38 am

Just finished a 250 gal propane tank trailer build with an offset fb. I noticed it takes quite a while to get to temperature and alot of smoke comes out from the firebox. I placed my exhaust opening at the end of the tank at the lower level rack. My question is is this a good placement for it? Its 4" and I used the calculator to determine all my dimensions. Cooked a brisket today and it had a good smoke ring but tasted funny.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Need advice!

Post by towtruck » February 3rd, 2020, 11:09 am

Welcome! What kind of wood are you using? Did you get a nice thin blue smoke when it was up to temp? Sounds like an issue with the wood with the info you gave.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Need advice!

Post by Dirtytires » February 3rd, 2020, 11:26 am

This is an ongoing debate. Some will claim that the low mounted exhaust is better because it keeps the meat in the smoke. I have had both and am currently a strong advocate for a top mounted exhaust. My experience is the low mount traps the heat and smoke and slows down the airflow and allows the contaminants in the air to fall out on the meat.

With that said, I’m not sure that is your (only) problem. It sounds like you need to work on your fire management. Large black smoke is bad and is usually caused by an inefficient fire, tho things like old wood or excess bark can cause problems as well.

I would start by re-checking your dimensions. Then check your wood to make sure it is properly seasoned and split to beer-can diameter splits. From there, it is all about building an efficient fire. Are you using a log rack? Is your air intake at/below level of fire?

Frank has a nice video on here somewhere on how to start a fire. I dump two full chimneys of lit lump charcoal in my log basket and place 2-3 splits on top. Leave ALL the doors open till the smoke starts to draft thru the cook chamber then close off that door. When the fire starts to lap out the firebox, close that door also but leave the air vents open full. Your fire will settle down and then you are close to temp, I start closing down the dampers to maintain. About this time, it will need another small split or two. Your key is to keep enough coals built up without having a huge roaring fire.

Let us know if any of this helps.....

Return to “Standard Offsets”