Any home built insulated smoker's here?

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Any home built insulated smoker's here?

Post by Smokydokey » January 11th, 2020, 4:42 pm

I'm afraid that I may have gone over to the "dark side" as I now have a store bought ceramic (kamado) cooker. The thing seems to be just about immune to the cold weather, where I struggle with my little (100# LP bottle) steel smoker if it's not used during either month of summer. :( Heck this past Christmas morning I browned up some good sage sausage in a cast iron skillet, threw on some links and had the best smokey sausage gravy in that ceramic contraption.
So my title is my question. I see nothing but a pain in the ass trying to insulate a build and then put a shell over the insulation to keep it there, keep it dry, and protected. It's been so many years that we've been cooking on something that I made weather it a "pit", smoker, grill or disco, I'm feeling a little yuppified or domesticated with my Kamado (Primo) cooker.
Some one must have a clever way to build an insulated smoker.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Any home built insulated smoker's here?

Post by Big T » January 11th, 2020, 10:53 pm

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to build an insulated cooker but Frank was selling a kit that was pretty simple to put together. I've seen pictures of guys smoking on their UDS with snow all around them so that might be an easy option for you.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Any home built insulated smoker's here?

Post by Dirtytires » January 12th, 2020, 1:12 am

A layer of insulation and a sheet metal wrap isn’t really that big of a problem. However, you seem to be happy with the green-egg so use it without regrets. Every pit has its use.....

Return to “Let's Talk!”