IWeber Grill

No Politics, No Religion... Smoking Allowed 8-)
Forum rules
No Politics, No Religion, Smoking is Allowed 8-)
T_Zamora

IWeber Grill

Post by T_Zamora » November 25th, 2019, 10:16 pm

After a month and 5uses I am very disappointed with my Wever iGrll. Probe tolerances are significantly variable. I noticed one, in particular, was clearly out of the ball park.
The attached pictures show the test setup I performed.
I decided to make a present to me and bought a Weber charcoal grill

- All four probes (three meat, one grill) suspended in a pot, not touching each other or the metal of the pot.
- I added rolling boiling water, which should have been close to 212 degrees.
- Screen shots show the temperature plots. I swapped probe one and two to confirm it was the probe and not the receiver jack. You can see how variable the reported temperature is coming from the same medium.

Additionally, the grill temperature probe (number four in the series) when in a grill stops working at about 500 degrees. When it cools off it returns to function.

Lastly, the Bluetooth range is less than advertised. Outside, direct line-of-site, the range is maybe 20 feet. I bought this device from this list, because it was on the top. However, a friend of mine advised me to pay $20 more and buy Maverick. Probably, I just got unlucky, and you guys are more lucky with this one. I also thought about buying a charcoal grill before Black Friday. If you have any thoughts about what grill is better from these, share youre experience please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: IWeber Grill

Post by Dirtytires » November 26th, 2019, 11:14 am

The range on thermometers is almost always a bunch less than advertised. Direct line of sight seems to help but any obstructions in the path will significantly decrease the range.

A lot of products on the market and not all of them are quality. I’ve had quite a few over the years and none have been better than my current set-up. I’m running a setup from thermoworks and have had very few issues. It has 2 probe ports and you can mix/match whatever leads you want.

They are expensive but do go on sale from time to time.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: IWeber Grill

Post by mp4 » November 29th, 2019, 5:59 pm

I have an iGrill and am not 100% happy with it - especially after Weber bought them out. Mine does seem to work all around better than yours...range and probe consistency. I use it with my reverse flow and just deal with the reduced Bluetooth range.

My CyberQ does seem to be better probe wise - the jacks and cables seem to be of higher quality than the iGrill.

Return to “Off Topic Stuff”