Lifting things

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
ntjones
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Lifting things

Post by ntjones » November 10th, 2019, 3:14 pm

I have cook chamber on saw horses and fire box on the ground. I don’t have a fork lift or anything like that. Does anybody out there have tips and tricks on moving and lifting things around the shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattJ
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Lifting things

Post by MattJ » November 10th, 2019, 6:16 pm

I use an engine hoist. You may want to look into a cheap or DIY gantry crane if you are going to be building often.

ntjones
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by ntjones » November 10th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Thanks. Those are good ideas. I’m still learning a lot but I would like to start building more and bigger smokers.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 10th, 2019, 8:25 pm

I have also used an engine hoist and they're pretty reasonably priced. I used a floor jack on my last build to lift the FB/WC in place and it worked well.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » November 10th, 2019, 9:21 pm

I’m still learning a lot but I would like to start building more and bigger smokers.
Then you are definitely going to need some lifting gear. I use an overhead gantry and a manual pallet stacker (manual fork lift), but anything that gets it off the deck without busting a gut is a good thing.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

ntjones
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by ntjones » November 10th, 2019, 10:12 pm

I do have a chain hoist and it is handy but I think I could really use the manual fork lift. I might look into one of those.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 11th, 2019, 12:42 am

It’s more work but a floor jack and a bunch of 2x4 cribbing works pretty well to lift and align fireboxes. I was able to move my box around on the jack as well. I do have a roof mounted hoist tho...

ntjones
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by ntjones » November 11th, 2019, 6:47 am

Dirtytires wrote:It’s more work but a floor jack and a bunch of 2x4 cribbing works pretty well to lift and align fireboxes. I was able to move my box around on the jack as well. I do have a roof mounted hoist tho...[/quotes there anyway you could post a picture of the 2x4 cribbing if you get a chance. That sounds like something I may be able to do on the cheap.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 11th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Take a few standard wood 2x4’s from local hardware store and cut them into 16 inch sections (or whatever length you desire). You can then stack them however you need them to get the lift you need....making sure to do it safely so as not to have a firebox crash onto your foot.

You need to lift your firebox with the floor jack and then set it on the cribbing. If you need to go higher than your jack allows, you can raise your jack off the floor with more blocks and then take another lift of the firebox. Depending on your needs, you might need a lot of blocks and of various lengths. On the bright side, a 2x4 is typically about only a dollar.

ntjones
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by ntjones » November 11th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Dirtytires wrote:Take a few standard wood 2x4’s from local hardware store and cut them into 16 inch sections (or whatever length you desire). You can then stack them however you need them to get the lift you need....making sure to do it safely so as not to have a firebox crash onto your foot.

You need to lift your firebox with the floor jack and then set it on the cribbing. If you need to go higher than your jack allows, you can raise your jack off the floor with more blocks and then take another lift of the firebox. Depending on your needs, you might need a lot of blocks and of various lengths. On the bright side, a 2x4 is typically about only a dollar.
Thanks. I have some 2x4 laying around. I’ll try that.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”