Direct Hog Cooker

Let's hear about your ideas for smokers and grills.
Militant83
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Pure Awesomeness

Direct Hog Cooker

Post by Militant83 » September 13th, 2019, 8:11 pm

So while I work through my current pit build I had wanted to add a hog cooker to the trailer for doing whole hog and after a recent trip to the Carolina's, I like the direct cook pits over coals. I really like the style like what Sam Jones BBQ is using the BQ Grill wood/charcoal cooker. As with everything else on this pit build I would like to build something similar myself with the help of my buddy.

At this point i'm just looking for ideas if anyone has built something similar of their own..pictures and details would be great. I've got some ideas rolling around in my head of how I would like to do it but a little more inspiration never hurts.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Direct Hog Cooker

Post by Big T » September 13th, 2019, 10:25 pm

I'm not familiar with his pits but I've seen a few pictures on the web. It appears to be a large grill with the coals really low in the cooker. Frank built a cooker that he calls The Hawg Cawffin, it does a great job. You can check it out here https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... =17&t=5369.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Militant83
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Militant83 » September 14th, 2019, 8:40 am

Big T,

Yes, essentially the Carolina style of cooking is direct cooking over a hot bed of coals so it is much like a big charcoal grill. I had seen the Hawg Cawffin it is a great looking cooker.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 14th, 2019, 9:21 am

Back in the 80's I used a charcoal fired rotisserie for whole hogs and giant pork roasts. It looked just like a double deep coffin. It had a tray in the bottom that was divided into three long sections. The outer two would get filled with charcoal and the inner area was for the drippings. It had a 1" stainless rod for a spit. Many times I would help at family birthdays and such. We would light it off in the morning....sit and drink...then serve food in the afternoon.

Militant83
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Militant83 » September 14th, 2019, 9:45 am

Towtruck,

I think I have see rotisserie pits like that in the past. We currently have a 250 gallon fuel drum on a trailer that someone made into a hog cooker that is propane. We welded on a chargriller offset box on it to use to put some smoke flavor into the meat and do the cooking with the propane. This cooker works great. Just something in me loves the Carolina style of shoveling in hot coals and cooking over them which is what brought me to this conversation of brainstorming ideas to make my version of something similar to this. Although I dont think I will go through the hassle of figuring out the turning grate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLg4zW0 ... N0KlMM0R84

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 14th, 2019, 9:54 am

Ours was similar but very different. I would guess ours was made more for the big 75# roasts as it turned all the time. I do remember cooking both roasts and whole hogs on it though. I often wonder what happened to the pit as it's been years ago I used it and I lost touch with that family.

Militant83
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Militant83 » September 14th, 2019, 11:16 am

There is a couple shots of our current cooker before we added the smoke box. Towtruck the very bottom one is the very first hog cooker I ever cooked on 10+ years ago, it was a rental and was similar to what you explained it had a coal basket that ran the length of the cooker on each side.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 14th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Yep that bottom one was real close to ours......but man, ours looked like a dang black coffin.

Return to “Other Smoker and Grill Designs”