Another noob wants to build a vertical smoker... from an ATM safe

Tell us a little about yourself!
Big_kid

Another noob wants to build a vertical smoker... from an ATM safe

Post by Big_kid » September 4th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Am I nuts? Short version:

I recently helped move a small vertical smoker, and after eating what my BIL smoked in it, I was hooked. I walked past the safe in my garage, and noticed it has a smaller chamber on the bottom made of 1/4" steel (FB?), it's pretty solid up top (1/2" steel CC), and right now it's just holding junk. I've never used a smoker before, let alone built one. The actual construction isn't the issue, it's knowing what to build that's got me reading, and reading, and reading, and looking at photos and videos, and reading some more.

Think it can be done, or am I dreaming? Not having a clue about smokers is the only thing holding me back at the moment.

front.jpeg
front 3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Another noob wants to build a vertical smoker... from an ATM safe

Post by Big T » September 5th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Welcome aboard! I've found that for me personally, a purpose built smoker using a set of plans or the pit calculator just seems to perform a lot better. That's not to say that you can't use it or make it work because I've seen smokers built from just about everything.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Another noob wants to build a vertical smoker... from an ATM safe

Post by Dirtytires » September 5th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Agreed. Sometimes trying to save a little by reusing a container leads to a lot of headaches in trying to get everything to fit. It definitely can be done but my vote is to sell it for scrap and use the money to buy a sheet of new steel to start your project from scratch. It will be easier to build, operate better and probably be cheaper to build in the long run.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”