Greetings from San Antonio, Texas

Tell us a little about yourself!
pralfred
BBQ Comp Team Name: I am not competing yet.

Greetings from San Antonio, Texas

Post by pralfred » April 16th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Hello, everyone. I go by Riley, I am 33 years old, and live in San Antonio. I grew up in Northeastern Pennsylvania and Upstate New York, and like many American children I grew up with my father "burning" food over a grill which was often passed off as bbq. The only thing bbq about most of it was the store-bought sauce slathered on top, lol. I did grow up with a love of cooking though, and while in the US Air Force I began apprenticing under a local chef during my "down time" because I wanted to eventually work as a chef. After studying under this chef, who is now one of my best friends, I left the military due to health issues and began working at a hotel here in town. After several years of full-time chef work at two different local hotels I had to make the decision to move on (once again due to health issues). The second hotel I worked for, and the one I worked for the longest, did a sort of Texas-style bbq. Not the greatest representation of this, but certainly FAR from the worst I ever have tried. It was good bbq, just not quite purely Texan and not quite as good as some of the "Mom & Pop" pits I've been to across the state. What that experience did for me though was ignite a love of bbqing and grilling that I had not discovered in myself before. I learned a lot about working with brisket and pork butt, chicken and turkey, with wet and dry rubs, different smoking times, and different smoke woods.

I now have a space to build an outdoor kitchen on my friend's 13-acre spread just outside of town, and we're both pretty excited about it. He hasn't welded in years, but used to do it a lot for work when he was younger. I'm learning starting next week. I don't expect to be welding a bbq super-soon, but I do hope that within a reasonable amount of time my friend and I will be able to get our outdoor bbq kitchen started. Until such a time as I/we feel confident to start burning rod on parts of the bbq, I am here to learn as much as I can about the design, construction, and function of different styles of grills, bbqs, and smokers. My plan is to start with a horizontal reverse-flow smoker, and then either a grill or a rotisserie. We'll have to see where I go after that.

As for my interests other than bbq, and culinary arts in general, I enjoy horseback riding, motorcycles, camping, and photography. I've also recently started homebrewing, and have made six gallons of hard cider so far (which turned out super good!).

IMG_4649@1x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Greetings from San Antonio, Texas

Post by ajfoxy » April 16th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Welcome aboard.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 16th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Welcome!! Lots of guys on the forum had never struck an arc until they decided to build a pit so don't let the lack of experience hold you back.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

pralfred
BBQ Comp Team Name: I am not competing yet.

Post by pralfred » April 16th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Thank you both for the warm welcome! I'm excited to learn to weld, and about making a bbq. I'm not going to let my lack of welding experience (yet) hold me back, but I am going to wait until I've practiced a bit on some scrap angle iron we've got laying around so I at least get some welds that don't look like a five-year-old with a crayon made them, lol. It'll give me time to source the materials I need though, so waiting and practicing will also serve as a time filler while I track down the steel to craft a good pit from.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 16th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Welcome to the group.

A rf is a great project. The best part of welding is that a grinder and paint can be used pretty efficiently to cover up yuk-welds. But seriously, great project to learn on and even better to cook on!

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » April 17th, 2019, 3:58 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » April 22nd, 2019, 11:41 pm

Welcome aboard. Excited to see what you build

Return to “Introduce yourself!”