Smoke damper on round tank. How to?

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
S GA Farmer

Smoke damper on round tank. How to?

Post by S GA Farmer » January 11th, 2019, 9:34 am

First post, and first build. Using a bunch of scrap around the farm. 250 gallon propane tank, with 60 gallon propane tank as firebox. Trying to figure out how to put my damper on my 60 gallon firebox. Only way I can figure, is put a 6 inch pipe in the side and weld on a cap so I can have a flat surface. Any other ideas? The 250 tank will be a gas grill, with smoke box, so I can grill with gas, or smoke with wood. Or grill with gas, and add wood for flavor. Will be on a 16 foot bass boat trailer, with 2 fish cookers, 2 cooler racks, wood rack, truck tool box for storage, and if I have the room a 60 gallon charcoal grill out of an old air compressor tank.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Smoke damper on round tank. How to?

Post by Dirtytires » January 11th, 2019, 10:22 am

A 250 is a big build and a lot of work. Might i suggest you build a wood smoker out of the 250, a charcoal grill from the air compressor and just leave the gas out of both. You will be much happier with the performance of your smoker if it is actually built as a smoker. All the other stuff forces you to compromise on the build.

To put vents on a round tank, many will build out a flat panel of some sort. Boxing in some plate or your short pipe extension would work fine.

S GA Farmer

Post by S GA Farmer » January 11th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Dirtytires I agree it would make it a lot easier!! Lol. We're just farmers, but after hurricane Michael came through this Summer in South Georgia, we went to cooking for people all over south Georgia and north Florida. No power meant no food. Grilled for 3,250 people for free, 6 towns in 7 days. Found out real quick, my propane grill needed to be 5-10 X's times bigger to handle that many people. Really enjoyed it, so I want to be ready for the next time! But want gas so I don't have to worry about charcoal, and can cook at high heat for 5 hours straight.

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Smurf » January 11th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Hey Farmer that was a very nice deed you done there feeding all those folks. Careful with the propane most around here are Leary of it and I for one respect that. Good luck and post some progress pics. That seems like a lot foe a 16 ft bass trailer?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » January 11th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Welcome to the crew. Awesome you helped out your fellow citizens in their hour of need.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 12th, 2019, 12:23 am

Welcome aboard! :yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » January 12th, 2019, 4:02 am

Welcome to the crew

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Return to “Standard Offsets”