New Smoker

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
JoeM

New Smoker

Post by JoeM » July 16th, 2019, 9:17 pm

I want badly to make a standard offset smoker for my patio. I have drawn out a design and am a little confused on the firebox to the cook chamber opening. It is around 70 sq in as drawn but where is it to be cut into the firebox. Right now the firebox is at the halfway point on the 24 inch CC. Should the FB be lowered to the CC? I would like to cut a lid into the top of fire box and put in a grate to sear or BBQ. Can you builders look at my drawing and guide me in the design.

Thanks, Joe in St.Louis MO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: New Smoker

Post by Dirtytires » July 16th, 2019, 10:31 pm

The top of the firebox needs to also be the top of the throat. With that said, the firebox needs to be mounted lower on the cook chamber.

My recommendation is to skip the sear grate as it is a source for heat and air leak. Use your gril instead.

And lastly, a discussion has been had here many times about best chiminey placement. I am in the school that top bead center is best (and I have experience with both).

Double check your numbers before you start just to be sure.

Lastly, and most importantly, Frank currently has plans for that EXACT size smoker on his website FOR FREE!! You need to check it out, it is legitimate. He also offers some hardware and parts kits to help out if interested.

Boston
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Boston » July 16th, 2019, 10:51 pm

I agree with DT on the smoker plans. It is a RF instead of standard flow, but it is that exact size, and the plans are extremely well laid out, and best of all, it is a tested and properly functioning smoker. I got mine over the weekends, well I got the digital part, I should have the hard copy in hand soon.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 16th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Totally agree with DT and Boston. The plans are available for the price of postage. I would suggest you also get the cut files (dxf) for a bit extra and get the parts cut out at a professional shop. Will save some angst and frustration down the road...

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

JoeM

Post by JoeM » July 22nd, 2019, 4:20 pm

Thank you for the reply's guys. I have been looking around for some round tube or a tank. The only material I found was a piece of 26 inch pipe. It is a cold rolled spiraled and welded piece. I was afraid that cutting a lid into it the material would loose shape and warp so I passed.

I was looking at craigs list and I found a old Brinkmann Cimmeron that is in great shape. Picked it up Saturday and I have cleaned the interior and burned it for 4 hours on Sunday to season it out. Every thing seals well and the thick wall material holds heat well. Going to cook a couple slabs of pork ribs this weekend,

Here is a picture, Not much rust on the exterior. none on the interior

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 22nd, 2019, 4:38 pm

Certainly quicker than building one... :kewl:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 22nd, 2019, 5:23 pm

Congrats on the new toy.

Don’t put your welder away just yet tho.....

For future reference, Most of the time your local steel supply yard will know where you can get big pipe. Also, look in the yellow pages for pipe supply in you closest/biggest city and give them a call. Don’t be intimidated because you don’t want a whole truck load of pipe as most suppliers will be just as happy with the small orders.

JoeM

Post by JoeM » July 22nd, 2019, 5:41 pm

Yes there are a couple more scrap yards around me that I have not had the time to visit. YET I still want to make a smoker as this one I found is not a large one.

Joe

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 23rd, 2019, 2:05 am

I didn’t say “scrap” yards......I said “supply” yards.

I know a lot of people scrounge the scrap yards looking for material and to each there own. I just bugs me when they claim they “can’t find something when all they need to do is look in the right place. I’ve never been to a steel supply that couldn’t get me what I wanted.

Sorry....just my point of view....lol

Return to “Standard Offsets”