Width of FB / CC

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Newsmoke
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Width of FB / CC

Post by Newsmoke » June 26th, 2019, 11:12 am

Is there a rule on the width a FB should be compare to the diameter of a CC (regardless of calculation). For example is it ok for a 23.6 inch CC to have a square FB of 30 inch (obviously Throat length can't exceed CC diameter)?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Width of FB / CC

Post by Dirtytires » June 26th, 2019, 11:33 am

No set rule.

One thing to consider is legnth of logs you will be using. I think a lot of people choose width of firebox ot be close to width of cook chamber just because it looks good that way. A wider firebox is easier to bump into and get burned, in my opinion.

rjaldama

Post by rjaldama » July 11th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Hi I have a water heater tank that I was considering making into a smoker. I checked your calculator and it gave me all of the dimensions. My question is, the cook chamber diameter is 19" and the width will be 32". I don't have a need to cook lots of food so is this size worth building.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 11th, 2019, 11:28 pm

That is a really nice size patio pit. At 19 inch dia you will most likely only get one rack in it. I’d plan on a second for ribs but it will be real tight to get butts on both slides. Legnth is perfect...you will still get quite a bit of usable space for backyard/small gathering use. I end up using the second rack for a pan of beans quite often but don’t cook much meat on mine.

Double check the tank, a lot of water heater tanks are galvanized....most of us won’t touch one for a smoker.

Return to “Standard Offsets”