building my 1st UDS... questions!

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
seco

building my 1st UDS... questions!

Post by seco » June 12th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Hi, I'm a long time forum luker that has finally decided to build his first smoker... and what better to start with than an UDS?

I just got a 50gal drum, already got the lid off, and will start burning it this weekend, but I have a couple of questions before buying the rest of the materials:

intakes:
  • How many 3/4in intakes do I need? 3? 4?
  • Should all of these intakes have an elbow, threaded pipe and ball valve at the end? I remember reading that at lease one can be just a nipple with a cap, since it will always be full open when cooking.
  • I read somewhere that nipples and elbow should't be galvanized, is that so?
exhaust stack:
  • Am I OK using just a single 2" exhaust in the bung? Or should I drill multiple 1/2" holes all over the lid? (I'm not able to find a Weber Kettle lid)
I guess that's all for now. I will also have to build my own grill racks, but that will come later on...

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Re: building my 1st UDS... questions!

Post by Frank_Cox » June 12th, 2019, 4:43 pm

seco wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 2:26 pm
Hi, I'm a long time forum luker that has finally decided to build his first smoker... and what better to start with than an UDS?

I just got a 50gal drum, already got the lid off, and will start burning it this weekend, but I have a couple of questions before buying the rest of the materials:

intakes:
  • How many 3/4in intakes do I need? 3? 4?
  • Should all of these intakes have an elbow, threaded pipe and ball valve at the end? I remember reading that at lease one can be just a nipple with a cap, since it will always be full open when cooking.
  • I read somewhere that nipples and elbow should't be galvanized, is that so?
exhaust stack:
  • Am I OK using just a single 2" exhaust in the bung? Or should I drill multiple 1/2" holes all over the lid? (I'm not able to find a Weber Kettle lid)
I guess that's all for now. I will also have to build my own grill racks, but that will come later on...
hey buddy! good deal! you're gonna love building a drum! On the intakes, you can use 4-3/4 pipe nipples, or 3- 1", or 2- 1.5"
We actually make the 1.5" ones if you wanted them.
galvanized for the external parts of the drum is not a huge deal just definitly not on the inside.
I put caps on all but one of the inlets and a ball valve on the last one. elbows are good but optional.
use the 2" bung and that's fine.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

seco

Re: building my 1st UDS... questions!

Post by seco » June 13th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Thanks Frank! I live in Argentina, so sadly, mailing parts is not an option... so, 3 1" intakes it is then, provided I can find a drill bit that large...
I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to “UDS Smokers”