Last straw

Forum questions and assistance
Stewart
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Last straw

Post by Stewart » February 26th, 2017, 7:26 pm

So I split the wood lit the coal hot the pig rig burning hot ready to make magic. I tun my attention to the meat. Racks of ribs. Sausage ropes chickens and butts. Delectable morsels for any palate. Then I look out side to check the color of smoke coming from the stack and to my horror it's pouring rain. Buckets. Sideways. End of the earth rain. Raining so hard it flooded the baffle plate. I'm done. Told the wife to fork over the checkbook I'm buying a gravity feed. Something I can run no matter what the weather is. Rain or shine in the garage or loaded on my pig rig. I'm done getting rained out.

Rodcrafter

Re: Last straw

Post by Rodcrafter » February 26th, 2017, 8:08 pm

There you go Stewart some times we just have to make changes. I had to add a cover for my trailer rig because of the rain.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Stewart
Expert
Expert

Post by Stewart » February 26th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Well I'm in the process of building my big rig that has a roof but it's not finished yet and my big smoker has to be moved onto it. I love my stick burner don't get me wrong. But to fuel it takes a lot of time. I have to go to my property and cut the cherry trees. Block them up split them and season them. It would be nice to have a unit that runs on an alternative fuel like charcoal. I can get a bag of it literally everywhere. Would be handy to have for home use and for my business if need be. Not to mention you guys here on the forum who have the GF rave about them so it's gotta be worth the investment.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 26th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Oh yeah I have to agree. They are sweet I might make one myself. I'd like a double pan with extra racks.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » February 26th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Man that sucks!! You said buy a GF but you meant build a GF...right??

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » February 26th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Bummer dude, I feel for ya. Everything that has been said about GFs is true, simple, stable & reliable, sooooo glad I built mine & I'm going to build a double pan as well soon. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » February 27th, 2017, 12:12 am

As above with regard to GF. Rain or shine our DP just handles it. Of course it is so much more pleasant not having to cook in the rain, but it can be done.
As the old saying says: Needs must when the Devil drives hard.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Return to “Questions?”