Couple of basic questions???

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Mountain Mike
beginner
beginner

Couple of basic questions???

Post by Mountain Mike » August 27th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Ok so I have pretty much have my plan drawn up for my reverse flow insulated cabinet smoker. It will be very similar to a backwoods. The frame will be made from 2" square tube and it will be 24"wide, 26" deep and 48" tall. So on to the questions.
1- If the cabinet is 24" wide and I also want the door to be 2" thick like the rest of the cabinet how wide should the door be? If it were 22" wide it would leave one inch of the cabinet showing all the way around the door. Is one inch on each side enough room to weld on hinges install a slam latch and install a gasket?
2- I was checking out the insulation on the bbq supply site and it is a rigid insulation. Could it be stuffed in the frame or do I have to buy 2 kinds of insulation. Also what is the best way to cut the rigid insulation?

LivnDream
beginner
beginner

Re: Couple of basic questions???

Post by LivnDream » August 27th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Hello not sure the answer to question 1,
I can help with question 2 A Grip-Rite Stone Wool Insulation Knife is what i use ( lows, home depot , menards should have)
and yes you can stuff the tubes with rigid you just have to cut strips to fit the inside measurements of your tube

joe

Mountain Mike
beginner
beginner

Post by Mountain Mike » August 27th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Good to know I only have to buy one kind of insulation. I hope the first question makes sense. I really like the bullet hinges but I cant see how they would work if the door is the same width as the cabinet like a refrigerator door. If I did make it the same width I guess I could use weld on butt hinges and a toggle clamp.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » August 27th, 2017, 9:30 pm

I used gate hinges on my mini GF door & its flush with the side of the smoker. Bullet hinges will work too, just have to make sure they line up well. If they are the same as the ones I used on The Wombat then you just set the angled part so they are facing towards the surface your welding on(one faces the door & one faces the smoker). Hope that makes it clear as mud. :D

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » September 9th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Yes what Squiggle said. I would make it flush.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Smoker Clones”