Helo from Canada

Tell us a little about yourself!
Sleeman
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Helo from Canada

Post by Sleeman » June 11th, 2019, 1:41 am

About 10 years ago, I started smoking on my propane BBQ with small wood chip smoke boxes and was instantly hooked on smoking meat. I kept working at it and decided to build my first smoker about 7 years ago. I built this smoker before I found websites like this and the Pit calculators that are available online. I was completely making it up from what little information I found, online pictures of other peoples smokers and what I saw in stores, which on the West coast of Canada 7 or 8 years ago was not much. When it comes to building a smoker I have two strikes against me, I don't know how to weld and I don't know anyone who does welding. As someone said in another post I read, we are all on a tight budget trying to get the best smoker we can and I could not afford to pay someone to do the metal fab and welding so I had to get creative. I built a stand out of angle iron bolted together and on wheels I salvaged from a landscaping wagon. I took two food grade apple juice drums, cut off one end of each then laid them side by side and bolted them together, made doors from a third barrel complete with handles made of conduit and put them on the stand. I cut a moon shaped hole in one end for my intake from the firebox. I purchased a small wood stove for $25 off Kijijji with a vent in the back. I connected it to my drums and put a chimney at the opposite end. I decided I wanted it to look like something so I made it look like a train engine. Obviously from my description, my first couple of attempts to cook did not go well. The heat went into the chamber and out the other end so fast that the only thing that cooked was right beside the firebox. I did some research and learned a bit about reverse flow smokers. So I purchased some steel to make a baffle plate which I laid into the bottom of the barrels and, since I can't weld, sealed it with foil tape. Now that I turned my smoker into an RF, I was able to really start to smoke some meat. I continued learning about recipes, building a good fire and other techniques for smoking and was able to master my Frankensmoker to produce some top quality products for the last 7 years (foil tape still holding). Over the years I have purchased two cheap small offset smokers and still have that propane BBQ that i use as well. It was not too long after I had mastered my train engine smoker that I found websites like this and started learning more about smoking meat and the design and construction of smokers. I quickly realized that although my smoker works well (with a lot of effort cause the firebox is way too small) it is not designed well. I still have a lot to learn but I have reached a point that every time I do a cook I have more orders than I have room in my smokers. So I have spent the last year or so researching for a new build cause it is time to go to the next level. It will be big. It will be creative. It will be Frankensmoker II and I will have a lot of questions to be sure I do it right, which is why I have finally joined as a member instead of just reading all the info and posts on this site.

Sleeman (Scott)

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Re: Helo from Canada

Post by Pete Mazz » June 11th, 2019, 4:14 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » June 11th, 2019, 4:30 am

Welcome aboard.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 11th, 2019, 9:49 am

That’s what we are here for....ask away!

Sounds like a great journey so far. You will be amazed at how much better a properly sized pit functions..

Sleeman
beginner
beginner
Title: Member

Post by Sleeman » June 11th, 2019, 10:04 am

Yes I can't wait. Having a firebox that is too small means a lot of work to keep the temperature consistent. No naps!

I have not been on many forums before so I want to understand how the forum works.

Now that I have done the introduction, do I continue to ask questions here or do I make a new post in a different category?

I am not quite ready to start my build but I do have some design and construction questions. Do I make a new post for each of my questions? Then start a post that I continue through my build?

What is the best way to use the forum?

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » June 11th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Go to the section that best fits your build and start a build/question thread there. You'll get more traffic in each specific section.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 11th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Welcome aboard!! Here's a link to the question section, https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=9 you can ask anything you want and someone will try to help out.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”