New member from Kentucky

Tell us a little about yourself!
Conley

New member from Kentucky

Post by Conley » May 21st, 2022, 5:59 pm

Hi!!

I have been using a small (Chubby) Backwoods Smoker for over ten years with a Digi Q controller. I love that smoker! It fits most of my needs. My problem is that it is rusting, again. I tried to protect it by cleaning it up and repainting it with new high temp paint about 3 years ago. It is rusting again. My dilemma is, do I re-paint it or just build something new out of something that won’t rust, like stainless steel? $$$$ Cha-Ching $$$$.

I admit that I have been dreaming about building a SS reverse flow cabinet smoker, similar to the Backwoods Chubby Smoker, but with several improvements that I want for about 4 years. I have even sketched up several design concepts. But, I was never serious enough to completely detail out a final set of plans. Three things have changed: 1) my Backwoods Smoker is rusting again (sigh); 2) I recently inherited two nice welders (Lincoln TIG and Miller MIG) from my dad; 3) I plan on retiring in the Fall, so I will have some “quality piddling time” in my future.

I also plan on taking a welding class or two next Spring (2023) at the local Community College. If I do decide to build a stainless steel, reverse flow smoker, it will either be during that class or shortly afterward. So, I have plenty of time to figure out my design, and get the parts ordered.

I am looking for some good conversations.

Thanks,
David

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: New member from Kentucky

Post by towtruck » May 21st, 2022, 8:23 pm

Welcome! I'd say go ahead and build what you want....cost of material will be high but you will not care once its done. You already have a smoker you like so copy what you like and change what you don't like. Make it your design.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » May 22nd, 2022, 2:22 am

Welcome!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 22nd, 2022, 11:42 am

Stainless is expensive and hard to work with as compared to mild steel. Most rust can be prevented with a good coat of paint, covering your pit and keeping the ash cleaned out of it. I would say that you would have a better pit using 0.25 inch steel as opposed to a thin sheet of stainless and have it last just as long.

Congrats on the retirement!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 22nd, 2022, 7:46 pm

Welcome aboard!!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Conley

Post by Conley » May 24th, 2022, 6:44 pm

Thanks for the greetings!!

Towtruck, Wow! I just checked out the cost of SS. I know COVID made the cost of wood and other buildings supplies go through the roof. I just ran some numbers on SS and compared them to what I ran 3 years ago. The cost has doubled to triple in price. I hope that cost comes down before next Spring. The nice thing about SS is if I get the design right, it could be a one and done type project.

Dirtytires, I guess I could have added a little more on the design of the new smoker. I am thinking it will be built around a 2” square tubing frame. The whole smoker will be insulated. So, it will have triple side walls and double walls everywhere else. I really like an insulated smoker because I don’t have to worry about the weather. I’ve done pork butts in 5-10 degrees F, and spare ribs during a snow storm with no problems.

Even if I lighten it up by using thinner steel, the weight may still be a problem. To get the smoker onto my back deck, I must carry it through the kitchen and across the carpet. And as you suggested, the thicker material would give me the life I am looking for, the thinner material would not.

This past Winter and before I got the welders, my plan was to repaint the smoker. I admit, I did a piss poor job at prepping it the first time, and the new paint peeled off. With the current price of SS, I think I should repaint it, and hope SS prices come down before next Spring. A new paint job would be a good stopgap solution for the interim.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”