Whole Hog Cooking

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Whole Hog Cooking

Post by forty_creek » June 10th, 2015, 8:39 pm

What is the recommended or needed cooking size for cooking a whole hog?
70-100#er Width and Length?
150-200#er Width and Length?
Head on how much more room to allow for I am assuming 70-100#er 12-18"s...?
Head on how much more room to allow for I am assuming 150-200#er 18"-24"s...?

I've killed hogs but never paid that close attention to it. Normally quarter em up and either get them processed or cut em up myself. I've helped cook whole hogs but we always dug a hole or made a fire pit and made a rack out of wire panels.

So anyone with any advice I appreciate your input. Yes, I am already planning/thinking about my first whole hog cook on my RF build. 36" x 52" cooking surface in large side of CC.

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Whole Hog Cooking

Post by Puff » June 10th, 2015, 9:12 pm

Hey Forty_creek,

I have no answer BUT had to tell you that I've only had 1 opportunity to eat a piece of whole cooked hog. It was at my sister in laws wedding 1984... Um um good ( as they say)

There is a guy at the marina who uses a plywood box to cook whole hog. I wanted to get in to his "party" to check it out but it never happened. I felt funny just barging in

Good luck...

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » June 10th, 2015, 9:42 pm

I can't say for sure but I'd think your cooker would work for an 100# cleaned hog with room to spare. The only thing I like about the whole hog cook is the cracklings on the surface. But a lot of the meat gets over cooked waiting on the rear end to get done.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

lester
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lester » June 11th, 2015, 10:38 am

You have to know how to prep your hog so that different parts of it can be removed from the cooker at different times, like cutting the ribs so the tenderloin can be pulled early along with the ribs. your supposed to do something for the bacon too but i don't remember. I helped my dad cook a few a long time ago, lot of work cooking a whole hog.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » June 11th, 2015, 8:01 pm

Thanks guys
RC I am thinking a 100er fairly easy on my pit. Cooking a whole is work to do it right. Plus balancing not overcooking one part while getting temp in the bigger muscles.
Just been doing a lil thinking (dreaming of the day) since I haven't made much progress on the build. I've made some progress but pics do not justify the work.
I guess my actually question is whats the largest dressed hog for a cooking surface of 36"x52"?

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » June 11th, 2015, 8:07 pm

Aw Puff! barge on in that's what Q'ing is all about!!! That's how ya meet new folks...if they don't welcome ya...they are not your kinda of folk anyway
Every year we tailgate for the Mardi Gras parades in Shreveport. We feed all that walk up!

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Expert
Expert
Title: ChefBoyareyoukidding
But if I were,we'd be called:Fatties Smoking Fatties

Post by SAFETYHARBORREDNECK » January 17th, 2016, 6:47 pm

I know this is kinda late for your answer,but may help someone just reading this.
A 125lb. head on is about all we can squeeze into my buddies 120 gal.RF.
Made a neat gurney for it too.That and the hog fit perfectly inside,I'll try to get pictures of it.

NEVER trust a skinny cook!

Smokeverything
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokeverything » February 10th, 2021, 6:43 pm

Have smoked afew whole hogs but I prefer cutting the hog into 4 pieces and throwing them on. Alot easier and less cook time. With that cooking surface you could deffinetly do a 200# or more. It all depends on the breed of pig. Some are longer/wider/taller than others.

jeeperjkjeeper
beginner
beginner

Post by jeeperjkjeeper » April 11th, 2021, 8:38 am

have done 2 on a spit now....last one was a little big so we hacked the rear legs off at the knees.Image

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”