Pork Shoulder

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Ribrece

Pork Shoulder

Post by Ribrece » July 28th, 2021, 10:28 am

Here are some pics of a pork shoulder I smoked last week. Homemade rub, done in a MasterBuilt vertical chunk smoker. About 9 hours at 225-230. Removed it with an internal temp of 163 and let sit for a few mins. Definitely the best one I've done so far meat was juicy and tender and fat was just melting off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Pork Shoulder

Post by Dirtytires » July 28th, 2021, 12:00 pm

Congrats on your cook.

Pork shoulder has a lot of fat and connective tissue and will really benefit from a higher cooked temp. Many will agree that the optimum internal temp is 202-203degrees. Also, don't be afraid to let it "rest" for more than a few minutes. I find at least 60 minutes wrapped tightly and in a covered roasting pan works well. This step allows the temp to hold and for the fat to break down a bit more.

One way to tell if your If your pork shoulder is cooked properly, is to see how difficult it is to shred it. You should be able to simply run your fingers thru it (wearing heavy rubber gloves to protect against getting burned) and completely shred it in about 30 seconds.

Hope this helps make your next cook even better.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » July 28th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 12:00 pm
Congrats on your cook.

Pork shoulder has a lot of fat and connective tissue and will really benefit from a higher cooked temp. Many will agree that the optimum internal temp is 202-203degrees. Also, don't be afraid to let it "rest" for more than a few minutes. I find at least 60 minutes wrapped tightly and in a covered roasting pan works well. This step allows the temp to hold and for the fat to break down a bit more.

One way to tell if your If your pork shoulder is cooked properly, is to see how difficult it is to shred it. You should be able to simply run your fingers thru it (wearing heavy rubber gloves to protect against getting burned) and completely shred it in about 30 seconds.

Hope this helps make your next cook even better.
Agreed with what DT said. But I was shooting for pulled pork. It can be pulled at 155-160 degrees and still be good sliced up. I pulled mine at 195 deg. left in peach paper wrap for an hour. temps bounced to about 205 in the ice chest. I mimicked my last double shoulder cook, which was good also, but this time I added the step of doing an 8 hour brine bath and injections just for the fun of it. This one was even better than the last one, foe shizzle!! :) Even more moister-er. The Mrs and I had pulled pork omelets for breakfast this morning. Still have a little more to eat! Nothing goes to waste.. even cooked up the skin for the dogs

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » July 28th, 2021, 4:47 pm

Ribrece wrote:
July 28th, 2021, 10:28 am
Here are some pics of a pork shoulder I smoked last week. Homemade rub, done in a MasterBuilt vertical chunk smoker. About 9 hours at 225-230. Removed it with an internal temp of 163 and let sit for a few mins. Definitely the best one I've done so far meat was juicy and tender and fat was just melting off.
Looks fantastic!!

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 28th, 2021, 9:46 pm

:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Ribrece

Post by Ribrece » July 29th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will definitely try that next time. I was worried about overdoing it and ending up with a dry mess, but I'll try that out

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by hogaboomer » July 29th, 2021, 3:10 pm

Pretty hard to dry out a pork shoulder with all that fat.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Return to “FOOD!”