New method to try

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
towtruck
Expert
Expert

New method to try

Post by towtruck » October 27th, 2020, 6:50 pm

I am trying a new method to smoke brisket and pork butts. I'm going to do them on my BBQ. This has been done on a Weber kettle successfully and I thought maybe it will work on my rig. I lined the fire box with briquettes and set one end on fire. I tossed on a little baby 21 pound brisket and two 3 pound pork butts. I got a late start and hope it will burn all night or at least get done in a timely manner. I'm hoping the butts get done and shredded by morning and I want the brisket cooled off by noon for slicing. I have no clue how long this will burn or what temps it will reach.....first time for everything. I set a probe on the grill grate in the center away from any burning charcoal and so far it's running about 165* and climbing. I'm hoping that low reading is just location and cold meat next to it. There is 15 pounds of charcoal around that fire tray and I dropped it down 13" under the grill grate.

edit...I tied the brisket up to make it more even in depth. Hopefully it cooks fairly even that way. It's been 1.25 hours and the temps are up at 200 and climbing on the probe setting on the grate ....I like it!

2 hours in we are at 233* for cook chamber temps. The butts are 105* and the brisket is 75*
Last edited by towtruck on October 27th, 2020, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: New method to try

Post by dacolson » October 27th, 2020, 8:18 pm

I wouldn’t tie that brisket up. It will take long enough as it is. Especially if you don’t get over 200°. You should be hitting 225 to 275. Good luck! Looks like an interesting experiment.
21# brisket is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 27th, 2020, 8:39 pm

dacolson wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 8:18 pm
I wouldn’t tie that brisket up. It will take long enough as it is. Especially if you don’t get over 200°. You should be hitting 225 to 275. Good luck! Looks like an interesting experiment.
21# brisket is a beast.

Were running 238* right now.....my dial thermometers are at 235-240. The heat is good. I wanted that hunk of meat to cook evenly and have tied them before with great success.......we'll see how long my snake lasts and the sun is down so things will cool off a bit. I have room to open vents and get the temps where they need to be.

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » October 27th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Good luck!

Farmington, MN

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » October 27th, 2020, 10:04 pm

I did a snake 1 time in my Weber. Did a Turkey. Turned out well but only needed it to go a few hours. I wouldn’t have thought about doing a brisket/butts.

Farmington, MN

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 27th, 2020, 10:10 pm

4 hours in and the butts are 140* and the brisket is 119*. I lost temps when the sun went down but we are still within range. I may have to open it up more but so far were good. Around the 7 hour mark I will check my snake and add more to get me through the night. I plan on crashing around 11 and letting the alarms wake me when I need to wrap and then pull the butts.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 27th, 2020, 11:35 pm

One lesson learned is only having one probe in the cook chamber is very deceiving. Every time I felt like I needed to adjust the temps the dials on the cabinet were in the good zone. As that snake winds around that temp probe has wild swings. Well over 100*. Right now the fire is right under that probe and it's reading really hot...300* and the fire is near the left dial which is at 300*. The right dial is at 225*. I finally stopped chasing the temps and just watch both dials and feel for where the fire is. Right now it's about half way around. I set the dampers about an hour ago and have decided not to touch them....I'm going to let it do it's thing running down the snake. All the meats are in the 150* range. When it's time to pull and wrap the brisket I'll assess whether or not I need to add more fuel. I have yet to open the smoker up and peek.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 28th, 2020, 12:13 am

Just wrapped the brisket at 6 hours. I was right at half way for burn time. I added more fuel across the back that should get me 7=8 more hours. The butts need 35* and the brisket needs 45*.

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » October 28th, 2020, 8:16 am

That’s awesome towtruck. Did you add any smoke wood? Or just straight charcoal?

Farmington, MN

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 28th, 2020, 11:54 am

dacolson wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 8:16 am
That’s awesome towtruck. Did you add any smoke wood? Or just straight charcoal?

Straight charcoal.

One butt finished just after midnight and the brisket and second butt finished at 1:15 am......9 hours total cook time. You cannot go by the temp probes on the grate...the heat is too uneven to read just one place. All in all once it got going my dials were anywhere from 200 on the cooler side to 300 on the hotter side. The average temps were around 240-250. I realized just setting the dampers and let it go was the key.....forget about trying to manage temps. I had a nice burn that kept the temps where I wanted the fire and I finally just left it alone and let it burn. The two rows stacked two high was just right for a burn rate with my dampers open about 1/4 on the bottom and the top. The fire made it to the back corner on the right side. I lit it on the left. I cut the snake and let the fire die saving the rest of the charcoal. I figure the run time could reach 12 hours with that size snake pretty easy. If I do it this way again I will set it and forget it....walk away until time to wrap. So easy.

I pulled everything out and tossed them into a cooler at 9 hours or 1:15 am. This morning at 7:30 I took them out and pulled the butts apart...they came out great. I trimmed the fat and separated the flat from the point and tossed that in the freezer for an hour or so and then sliced it all up.

That was a big brisket and I cooked it with the flat up. Not a bad cook for a Choice cut of meat......could have been better but it's going to eat well. The flat dryer than the point but still moist. The point, when cold, still had some tug on the fibers but I think it will be fine once heated up to eat.

I will post up pics later as I have to get to town right now.

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » October 28th, 2020, 12:13 pm

That’s awesome. Impressive cook time for a 21# brisket. You got me thinking about tying the flat up.

Farmington, MN

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 28th, 2020, 2:49 pm

I'm glad that it worked out like you planned. I have used the snake method before but on a smaller scale.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 28th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Here are the pics.......

Had pulled pork sammich's for lunch and they were great. Those two 3 lb butts are going to disappear pretty fast. I need to smoke at least 10 pounds next time. I have not tried the brisket yet but some of the crumbs from cutting found their way into my mouth and they were tasty.

Brisket...that is the folded flat at the top of the first pic.
Last edited by towtruck on October 28th, 2020, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » October 28th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Looks like a winning method, the food looks pretty good.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 28th, 2020, 5:19 pm

JKalchik wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Looks like a winning method, the food looks pretty good.
The more I play with this new bbq the more I find out I don't need to fire up the main smoker.......I built my trailer rig around the main smoker and now this bbq is outshining it.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm

dacolson wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 12:13 pm
That’s awesome. Impressive cook time for a 21# brisket. You got me thinking about tying the flat up.
The only downside to folding them that I can see is you lose some bark and smoke ring under the fold. I started tying mine up to even out the size. I try and not fold them but if I can I tie them in a way that evens out the chunk of meat.

I also trim as much fat off the outside I can. I try and to not make holes chasing the fat into the hunk. I get all the outside fat off I can and square up the meat by tying. Once cooked I separate the two muscles and skim all the fat that is on the outsides off.

I'm getting pretty decent at cooking the briskets.....it's just not my favorite cut of meat for some reason. I need to do some more injecting until I get one I really like. I like to shred them and make bbq sammich's and stuff baked potatoes with them over eating the meat as a main dish.

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » October 28th, 2020, 6:46 pm

You ever do a Chuck roast instead of brisket? Seen a couple posts about it. Might be my next cook.

Farmington, MN

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 28th, 2020, 6:58 pm

dacolson wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 6:46 pm
You ever do a Chuck roast instead of brisket? Seen a couple posts about it. Might be my next cook.

No, but I saw where someone did one into burnt ends and it looked great.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 29th, 2020, 10:01 am

Another way to do briskets is to chase that fat layer and split the flat and point apart. Not only are you able to get rid of some of the fat before cooking (so as not to ruin the bark afterward) but the cooking time is shorter. The two pieces cook at different times but much easier to cook, in your opinion.

dacolson
Expert
Expert

Post by dacolson » October 29th, 2020, 10:18 am

I do a ton of brisket. Always trim - moderately aggressive. I cut of all the thinner edges. Usually ends up roughly skateboard shaped with the flat end a bit wider. 2” thick at the flat, 4 to 5” at the point. I start with a 14/15# brisket and end up around 11/12#. (Trimmings get saved for sausage) I try to be repeatable so I can plan cook times. I do leave some fat on the meat. Usually cook fat side up. I feel like it renders down into the meat and keeps everything moist. Wrap at 170 deg. Butcher paper. I only spray the meat if it’s getting too dark. I spray the paper, mainly so it will wrap tighter.
I’m going to try tying one up the next time I can find a big ole fat one like your 21#er.

Dirtytires - I’ve smoked flats before, but never a point by itself. Interesting approach. Sounds like another method I need to try. Love all the ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Farmington, MN

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 29th, 2020, 11:05 am

Dirtytires wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 10:01 am
Another way to do briskets is to chase that fat layer and split the flat and point apart. Not only are you able to get rid of some of the fat before cooking (so as not to ruin the bark afterward) but the cooking time is shorter. The two pieces cook at different times but much easier to cook, in your opinion.
I have done it that way with smaller one's. Comes out pretty good. Every time I try and leave a little fat on the outside it ruins the bark so I get it all off the outside now. I stopped trying to dig it out between the two just to make it easy on me. I'll split them after the cook and use my hands to get rid of all the fat in there.

I may split the next one, inject it, and cook it this same way.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 31st, 2020, 11:26 pm

Tonight we ate baked beans with the brisket.....and I'm here to say the point and flat came out great. I started injecting my smoked chickens and I do believe the brisket will be the next thing I inject. I have lots of meat to get through first though.....that was a big hunk of beef.

Return to “FOOD!”