Need advice for brisket/catering

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Newsmoke
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Newsmoke » September 21st, 2019, 3:37 am

Dear All,

I have an event for around 100 people and I am planning on serving boston butt and brisket.

The event is tomorrow sunday (french time), however I struggle to decide if:

- I cook everything today, end of cook will be tonight let them rest outside to cool a bit and when it reaches 150Fahrenheit put them in a isothermal box with a pan of hot water. tomorrow morning I will then reheat it slightly in the smoker for the "show"

or
- I start cooking tonight to be on time for tomorrow morning and have it "fresh out the smoker", but it doesn't seem viable.

Do you have any advice on how to re-heat the meats knowing that I have only at my disposal isothermal box (Cambro), my smoker, oven (before going to the venue) and water kettle.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Re: Need advice for brisket/catering

Post by Pete Mazz » September 21st, 2019, 3:46 am

I would pre-cook and keep them wrapped whole in a foil pan in the oven at 165F . Pull/slice just before serving

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » September 21st, 2019, 9:42 am

:yth:

Personally, I've kept briskets nice & warm in a good insulated picnic cooler for in excess of 5 hours. I am convinced that a long rest, at least 2 hours, is absolutely required. This is a great way to take care of differences in brisket cook times, plan on having it done 5-6 hours in advance and hold it.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 21st, 2019, 10:20 am

:yth:

Good luck with the cook!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 21st, 2019, 10:25 am

I would plan to cook all night and have them ready in the morning just before you leave the house. Wrap them whole and place them in your cambro then slice just before serving.

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Post by McBroom » September 21st, 2019, 3:10 pm

I agree with the above replies. I like to slice them up while they’re cool not cold then serve off of a hotwater table with a sterno can (canned heat)
It makes it easier to slice and the warm water under the pan will make it hot enough.

- The Blue Mule

Newsmoke

Post by Newsmoke » September 25th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your comment. Here how things went down:
I started cooking brisket on saturday 12:00PM and boston butt went in at 3:00PM i cooked overnight and pull them out on Sunday morning 2:30 AM. Let them cool for 3:30 hours during which I got some sleep. Then in a Cambro (isotherme crate) and went for the event and started serving at 11Am, they start early in France.
Boston butt was a success! Unfortunately Brisket had a a great taste but slightly dry. I truly believe that dryness was due to the fact that it was French beef with barely any marbling. We had to offer good old bbq sauce in order to help the slightly dry factor. Also french are not use to Barked meat so many reactions were "oh, isn't it burnt". We have a big educational work here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Post by McBroom » September 25th, 2019, 1:58 pm

It takes a lot of practice making brisket. Cook time and temperature are the first 2 things to get right. I also understand that metric temps are different from here(Texas)
I’d say that if your beef is not as fatty as ours I recommend marinading it several hours. And a tip on super lean beef is add a beer or 2 to the marinade along with some worsteshire sauce. Others have different methods of marinade but this has worked great for me. I don’t do it al the time but on occasion.
After the marinade then do your dry rub.
Another tip is a 50/50 mix of apple juice and water in a spray bottle. Must the meats during the cook. That’ll help keep it moist. ImageImage

- The Blue Mule

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » September 26th, 2019, 5:13 am

Kinda funny how we want bark, but some think it's burnt. Same issue I have trying to serve medium rare prime rib to certain family members. When they tell me it's raw.
I think mcboom is onto something with the above comment. Serve the customers a few beers first.

Return to “FOOD!”