At the Crutch: Brisket and/or Ribs... why you add the coke or beer or burbon???

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
LeonardK
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
Title: Leonard

At the Crutch: Brisket and/or Ribs... why you add the coke or beer or burbon???

Post by LeonardK » March 7th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Super Bowl Sunday a friend showed me how he cooks brisket

I had one to cook too so we cooked it, used our digital thermometers cooked with rub to 160,

foiled put dry rub then put a can of COKE

then cook to 198 degrees and it's done, rest an hour and cut or when it's 160 again

I know once the meat is foiled, it could be cooked anywhere, electric or still in smoker, heat is heat, doesn't matter.

OK as I understand this but not sure, the coke opens up the pores of the meat?????????? yes add to or correct me if I'm wrong or tell my why we do this.

Just looking up BBQ smoke etc found this foiling is often called the "Crutch" so common with brisket or ribs 3-2-1 or others

I always like my meats salty peppery not sweet. So I wouldn't put sweet rib glaze on ribs or sim on brisket unless I feel like cooking sweet.

Always tho, I like it hot, taste of fresh pepper on the smoked meat.

What does the COKE do?????????

If I understand it opens up the pores of the meat, I considered it might be a real interest/good taste to smoke brisket with some salt, habanero or chili piquin rubbed on and smoked

then when it reaches 160 degrees, foil with about 10 oz of Burbon (for this I just thought the taste so good and distinctive).

Now I wanted to search/Google what other things people put when they foil ---- the COKE idea opening pores of the meat ---

As always we need a name for this, what it's called by what the function is, right?

What do we Google?

Foiling the meat is a little too general.

Coking the meat????, what is it called?

What does putting coke on the meat do?

I just found out we commonly call this step the "Texas Crutch" or crutching.

Thank You

Leonard

Also chili piquin is really hot, maybe too hot and habanero too hard to predict how much heat pepper will lose.
Jalapeno always loses all its heat when cooked, serrano peppers I don't know, they lose their heat too.
What pepper do you like to smoke with that will retain a nice spicy heat without ruining what you cook it it's too hot???
Hope I can get an answer for two questions in one thread.

Gracin
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: At the Crutch: Brisket and/or Ribs... why you add the coke or beer or burbon???

Post by Gracin » March 8th, 2019, 10:14 am

When it's wrapped and already at 160+ the coke really isn't going to do much more other than keep the wrapped brisket moist. The sugar in the coke might do a little carmelization, and impart some sweetness but probably not much.

As for adding heat. My dad used to do jalapeno brisket when I was growing up. He'd trim and season the meat, and then he'd take a tall jar of pickled jalapeno slices and spread them all over the brisket. He'd just cook it his normal way, which had not crutch, and it would have a nice heat and the smoked pickled jalapenos were delicious. He'd usually do one brisket with and one without and the jalapeno one was always gone first.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: At the Crutch: Brisket and/or Ribs... why you add the coke or beer or burbon???

Post by Dirtytires » March 8th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Everyone has a method...to each their own.

Personally, a properly cooked brisket shouldn’t need any juices added with the crutch as it makes its own. The joy of brisket is the big beef taste and adding all sorts of flavors can mess up that wonderful natural flavor.

LeonardK
Title: Leonard

Post by LeonardK » March 15th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Last cook someone else had the pit and controls, tough and tastless Superbowl Sunday.

Now got my pit done enough to cook, I'm in control using the rev flo smoker I just built 16x36 pipe and a digital temp meat probe. Worked very good.

Pulverized serrano peppers in blender with some burbon to get it going

Covered 7.5# brisket and 4.5# pork butt in Serrano+burbon and sea salt

Cooked to 160 deg internal at 225 deg for 6 hrs mostly royal oak lump and some mesquite probably made up 1/4 of fire

Foiled at 160 splashed a bit of burbon over both, cooked to 198 deg int at 280 - 300 deg total 9 hrs

The serrano heat did not cook out, nice heat there, but for others to sell or give, might just use jalapeno or leave pepper out

I'm not really sure if the burbon did anything, next time might not use that, we'll see burbon cooked then plain and what difference.

If anybody sees Mike Delmarva youtube he seems to use foil time to add sweet hot glaze and spritz on baby back ribs 3-2-1 method

Thinking I might use the foil step at 160deg to use something to add flavor of something else sometimes and other times plain

Some things I want to try later to add some different flavors: pickle juice, Italian Dressing, beer, tomato sauce with Italian seasoning

also the sweet salty thinking of adding some brown sugar

Guess it's important not to get too much and make it taste like sweet candy, bought some in a place and was surprised they sold something so nasty sweet without telling customers what it's like.... really an extreme aquired taste as candy sweet, not for me.

Meat on this cook came out with a nice strong smoke flavor, everyone that tasted it also liked it very much, a few more notches this extreme would approach bitter, but it sure is good

Just this method of cooking, careful temp control, not having much experience at all and it came out so good with plenty of smoke ring 1/2" plus some places

16x36 cooker rev flo smk 1 - 2.jpg
16x36 cooker rev flo smk 1 - 3.jpg
16x36 cooker rev flo smk 1 - 1.jpg
Leonard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LeonardK on March 16th, 2019, 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 15th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Sounds like a successful smoke.

It's good to be the pit master.

While you are experimenting, remember wrapping in paper vs foil results in different flavors as well. Many find that foil results in more of a "braised roast" product where paper allows the meat to firm up some. I know....too many choices....lol

Return to “FOOD!”