Oak ?

Discussion about Woods for smoking
jasonz
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Oak ?

Post by jasonz » December 1st, 2014, 9:29 am

Cooked with oak this weekend, super dense stuff. It was cut early summer '14 and seasoned to 17%. Had a good bed of coals, but each time i added wood it smoked (a little gray) for maybe 10min.

Should i want to clean this smoke up, if yes, how? It did help when i cut splits down to about the size of a red bull can - but still smoked a little gray after adding wood.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Oak ?

Post by Rodcrafter » December 1st, 2014, 10:58 am

I use the smaller pieces like you described. And you can leave the door of the FB open for those pieces to catch fire if you feel the need to reduce its effects.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » December 1st, 2014, 8:58 pm

I have had a lot of issue white oak family of wood smoking sometimes to the point of nearly snuffing my fire out. I definitely like to have oak split and seasoned for towards a year. Anything in the white oak family has tyloses (probably misspelled) which clogs the wood pores making it hold moisture for an extremely long time, hence why only white oak is used in whiskey barrels.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » December 1st, 2014, 11:03 pm

Here where I live we have loads of oak...many types and when hurricane Sandy came and knocked down too many to cut, I just started to cut and split...that stuff is now two yrs old and when I add some splits to a burning fire, I get about 2-3 minutes of denser smoke but it lights up very very quickly

Rodcrafters idea to leave the door open...works great for me and it only takes 1-2 minutes and it's running very well

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

jasonz
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by jasonz » December 4th, 2014, 10:12 am

Thanks for the replies. I will try keeping the door open for a few min.

I did put wood on warming box but that did not show much improvement.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » December 4th, 2014, 11:57 pm

That would probably not dry out wood with higher moisture content to a point that it becomes well seasoned. FYI if I do that also, the wood starts to ignite.

There were times in our house when the wood would burn... but you can look and listen to the steaming or oozing on the ends. Fire was ok for heat but not optimal. I can easily see only a clear wave of distortion in the air pattern coming from the top of the stack on my rf smoker after the first 10-12 minutes of a newly added split.

Always knew it but never took the initiative to store the wood piles so the wood stayed dry, especially since it was more of an ornamental than real need to supply heat or food. Now that we've got the smokers running, I've got to take my wood pile much more seriously ;)

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » December 5th, 2014, 7:31 am

:beer: :yth:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Clover Ridge Smokers
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » December 7th, 2014, 9:17 am

I use a lot of Oak and have found the best results to be when I use small split and preheat them before adding them to the fire. The top of the FB works great for preheating splits.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Return to “Wood”