australian pine and oak for reverse smoker?

Discussion about Woods for smoking
smokinwelder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

australian pine and oak for reverse smoker?

Post by smokinwelder » June 6th, 2013, 6:00 pm

well i had to go on craigslist for seasoned wood. I live in south fl. I found a guy who has australian pine and oak thats seasoned and split. Hes selling 25 16" splits for $20, or 100 for $70. I read that australian pine is not a pine at all, but dont see too much where people use them for cooking. I have a cook on fathers day, and will be buying probably 25 splits, but im not sure if i should get australian pine, or stick woth the oak? Thanks.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Re: australian pine and oak for reverse smoker?

Post by SoloQue » June 6th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Never heard of australian pine but this is what I googled "Seasoned outdoor cooks in Florida say it is one of the best woods for barbecuing adding a nice flavor to meats". Good luck with your cook.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Clover Ridge Smokers
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » June 6th, 2013, 7:11 pm

WOW that is a crazy price for wood. If I could sell wood for that amount I could retire!! I guess it's a supply and demand thing.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

El Gato
Expert
Expert
Title: HKU university
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by El Gato » June 6th, 2013, 9:17 pm

with the word pine!
i would not buy it.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » June 9th, 2013, 10:13 am

I say use some on a small cook and try it lol... at least tell us what you think??

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » August 17th, 2014, 8:47 am

Smokinwelder I just ran across your post from a couple of months back. How did that i cook go with the Australian Pine?
I'm down here in South Florida too on the hunt for some wood. Hoping to fire up my new smoker soon. I saw the same ad for wood on CL. My plan is to go with Oak but I want to know more about the Australian Pine. First I gotta know its safe to cook with. So far it seems to be. I read it burns as hot or hotter than oak, burns clean too and has a mild smoke flavor.I saw a post somewhere that said to find out the flavor of wood you can smoke a thin slice of turkey or chicken for 30 mins, then taste it along side another slice of the same meat unsmoked. Going try that with a few woods if I can get em.

Smoke em if ya got em.

THEFERMANATOR
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by THEFERMANATOR » June 7th, 2015, 3:39 pm

Not sure exactly where at in south Florida you are, but I'm in central Florida around Tampa. I know up this way you can get a full cord of seasoned live oak for about $100 delivered last I checked. Also keep in mind we have MANY kinds of oak in Florida. Laurel is my favorite, but I have found it doesn't store well. Live oak is the most popular as it is everywhere, but blackjack seems to be the prefferred for cooking on. I have a good sized pile of live oak currently drying that I split earlier this spring.

Return to “Wood”