Firewood rack

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
jose-da-weldr
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Firewood rack

Post by jose-da-weldr » November 23rd, 2020, 9:13 pm

Hey guys, haven't posted anything in a while, so I thought I would share this with you guys. And since it pertains to welding, I thought i would post it here.

My brother-in-law asked me to build him a firewood rack, and he told me he wanted it for a cord of wood. So, since I'm not working at the moment "stupid rona" I told him I would. He told me he wanted it really simple, and that he wanted to cover it. Called my local steel supplier and for prices on 1½" sq. tube 14g. Told him total for material was around $115. He sent me $150 and to build it. After seeing a few online, I got an idea of how I was going to build it. So I got going on it last week, and I finished it today. Sent him some pictures and he said he really liked it, and wasn't expecting to come out like this. I was just going to build it without the center divider, but after thinking about it, I decided to put the divider in. With the money he gave me, it was enough to cover all the material. I ended up purchasing 104ft of 1½" sq. tb and 40ft of flat bar. After everything was cut, I had about 6ft of tubing left over. I made it so it bolts together at the bottom.

Only thing left to do is paint it. When I was thinking of how I was going to hang it to paint, I had a few ideas of how to make something, but I remembered that I had an old swing frame. So I had my son help me bolt it together, for pictures, and unbolt it and hang it. So tomorrow im gonna paint it. I have some krylon iron guard paint I'm going to use on a hf purple hvlp gun. I'll post pictures after I paint and install at his house.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Firewood rack

Post by Dirtytires » November 23rd, 2020, 9:47 pm

You might want to add another cross piece across the bottom. From building my racks, I can confirm that it is sometimes difficult to get perfect length logs so as not to fall between the centers...especially true for the center stack of logs.

Nice little project, nice to help out family.

jose-da-weldr
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by jose-da-weldr » November 23rd, 2020, 9:50 pm

Dirtytires wrote:You might want to add another cross piece across the bottom. From building my racks, I can confirm that it is sometimes difficult to get perfect length logs so as not to fall between the centers...especially true for the center stack of logs.

Nice little project, nice to help out family.
Thanks, and it is. I was going to use expanded metal on the bottom, but didnt have any room on budget. He's gonna get plywood, cut in half, to put on the bottom.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 23rd, 2020, 9:59 pm

Cool....sounds like you got it covered. Another stick of tubing would cost about the same as a sheet of plywood and not trap water.

I got lucky on mine but would make my supports closer if I made another set.

jose-da-weldr
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by jose-da-weldr » November 23rd, 2020, 10:09 pm

Dirtytires wrote:Cool....sounds like you got it covered. Another stick of tubing would cost about the same as a sheet of plywood and not trap water.

I got lucky on mine but would make my supports closer if I made another set.
He is going to cover it up, so there shouldn't be any problem of trapping water.

I could've gone with 16g sq. tubing and got another 20 ft but, I don't know if it would hold the weight of the logs. I didn't want to add to many legs on the bottom of the rack either.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”