Trailer axle help...

Haul in here to talk trailers.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Trailer axle help...

Post by Puff » September 18th, 2015, 8:36 pm

I've been wrestling with this for two years now and have to finally get this done. My log splitter axle is the rear of some front wheel drive vehicle and the hub is 5 bolt by 135 ... Basically a bigger Ford/ Lincoln wheel. I've looked all over local junkyards and eBay to find some JUNK, RUSTY, TRASHY wheels but everyone who might have something, thinks they are worth $100 each or to ship, they still each cost $100.

So for $200 bucks I can change the axle with money to spare since I have a big supply of Ford Ranger pickup wheels. I recently saw a few options using a tube with weld in axle stubs. Since I have zero experience in this arena, how would I go about getting the correct hubs to mount to these spindles?

Thanks in advance

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Trailer axle help...

Post by Big T » September 18th, 2015, 9:30 pm

Puff the ranger rim has a 5x4.5 lug pattern which is probably the most common 5 bolt trailer pattern. You can order a hub and spindle assembly and all you have to do is weld them to your axle tube. The hubs come in different weight ratings so be sure you get one that's heavy enough. I have seen them on ebay and amazon for a reasonable price.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 19th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Gee Thank you Big T... This situation has been around for two years and I used the splitter exactly where it was built. The wheels from my F-150 fit but they're needed on the truck! This thing will never see a roadway as long as I have it but I still want to make it move through the woods.

I may still have a question or two depending on how confused I get looking for these parts

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Trailer axle help...

Post by Rodcrafter » September 19th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Yeah it would be better to take the splitter to the logs than have to bring the logs to the splitter. Well since you don't have a forklift or tractor. You just might have to get one Puff. Just kidding. I don't have one either, I just do my stuff at work where the toys are.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 19th, 2015, 9:55 pm

Well, I just stopped back here to tell T that his advice paid off perfectly. A complete kit for these wheels with squared end spindles was $89.95 with free shipping will be here Wednesday. Before my great neighbor moved to North Carolina, he had a really nice 1950's tractor with slide on forks to lift and some other things to make it real easy to lift... I could not fit it anywhere inside and leaving it out in the rain was a no no. As a result, he'd sold it to a nephew. Would have been perfect. RC, that is exactly what I had to do
Last edited by Puff on September 20th, 2015, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big T

Post by Big T » September 19th, 2015, 10:55 pm

Glad I could help out. :)

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 20th, 2015, 8:24 am

Do you know...in the 37 years in this place I have had three different neighbors. I have NO IDEA whats wrong with them. I only got along with 1. Some people said maybe it's me =))

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 29th, 2015, 10:32 pm

Update: the spindles came, bought a piece of 2x2 tube and welded the spindles into the tube ends. Perfect fit. Cut the old hubs off of whatever that was supposed to be. These free wheeling hubs look great..fit well..and will allow me to use the small 15" wheel and not the larger size. I also have enough wheels for three more axles. A couple used tires and I'll be out going to the tree not bringing the trees to the splitter..BigT and RC , thank you both.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big T

Post by Big T » September 29th, 2015, 10:40 pm

That's awesome Puff, now you can really load the old pick up down !

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 30th, 2015, 5:38 am

Gonna need it Big T.... Got 3 smokers to feed ! Once again, thanks. It's even a good feeling to reclaim the spot that she sat for two years.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 30th, 2015, 5:47 am

You do some nice work too Puff!

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 30th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Thank you RC.... But I realized that if I'm traveling in the same circles as you guys...it better be up to par...

Still practicing though so don't say that too loud

Big T

Post by Big T » September 30th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Puff don't knock yourself, that axle looks like you bought it from the store! :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 30th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Hmmmm! Thanks.

I don't know where I saw this but, I drilled a 1/2" hole on two sides of the tubing about 3" in from the end to get a bite on the spindle as well as on the outer edges

Big T

Post by Big T » September 30th, 2015, 9:11 pm

That's the way to do it, a couple of plug welds, a bead around the end and she's good to go !

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 1st, 2015, 5:58 am

:yth:

Excellent plan.. But you know, I believe in more is better.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 8th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Well first time in 2+ years that it came off those concrete blocks... Got a set of fenders to rest some food and drink on !
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Big T

Post by Big T » October 8th, 2015, 5:57 pm

:LG:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 8th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Thanks, it would still be sitting there but you gave me a few key words.... Made all the difference..like a missing piece of the puzzle

Big T

Post by Big T » October 8th, 2015, 11:09 pm

All we did was point you in the right direction, you did all the work. At least now you can load those logs in manageable pieces instead of those huge logs.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 9th, 2015, 5:18 am

Ok T.... It's time for the " let chuck snap up " story.. It illustrates that when your just don't see the correct solution, even if it's right under you nose, you never will.

Years ago my brother and I were working with small lathes that had quick change releases so that you could pull down a little lever and change the cutter without stopping the motor and causing big down time especially changing cutters several times in a few minutes.

You essentially just pulled the handle, quickly remove a type of dremel tool cutter...replace it, release the handle and start trimming again.

On day my brother comes over to me and says. " why do you always just let the handle snap back up into position? ". I told him....it says so right here on the shaft extension. On an 3" tube that housed the shaft about as big as a toilet paper tube was a curved placard. It read..."LET CHUCK SNAP UP ". When I showed him he said..." Did you ever read the other side?"

When I looked over the top of the curve it reads. "DO NOT Let chuck snap up,"

Big T

Post by Big T » October 9th, 2015, 7:19 pm

=)) That sounds like something my helper at work would do.

Return to “Trailer Fabrication”