Stumps Clone Pellet Adapter

Also called Stump's Clone.
pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Stumps Clone Pellet Adapter

Post by pr0wlunwoof » June 8th, 2018, 7:16 am

So. I got bored this week and decided to find a way to build a pellet smoker. My dad has one and my boss got one before I finished my stump clone. I do believe I have a superior machine in every way imaginable, but curiosity doth drive innovation. In my searching I found a post where someone used a stainless steel tube to run charcoal and pellets at the same time, but I would like to run pure pellets. So far this is what I have found:

http://www.allchinas.com/burner/

This design is based off of the gravity feed system of the stumps but with a small cup in the bottom to hold the fired pellets. I was thinking I could make an insert that sits above the grate that would be a funnel with the cup at the bottom to hold the burned pellets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Re: Stumps Clone Pellet Adapter

Post by Frank_Cox » June 8th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Interesting. If I understand what you are wanting to do, you want to use the chute as a pellet hopper and burn pellets as a gravity feed. is this correct? :-B

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Weldun » June 9th, 2018, 8:23 am

When I made the stainless tube and used it to add pellets to the charcoal in my GF the issue I found is the pellets that are above the pellets being consumed or used as fuel if you will don't stand up to the heat and humidity, they swell up. I'm no pellet grill expert but it's my understanding that most if not all pellet burning grills store the pellets in a hopper and utilize an auger to move them into the burn pot which eliminates the pellets exposure to the by products of combustion.

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » June 9th, 2018, 8:31 am

Frank_Cox wrote:Interesting. If I understand what you are wanting to do, you want to use the chute as a pellet hopper and burn pellets as a gravity feed. is this correct? :-B
Yeah. Based on what I have read about some pellet stove and that guys design I think it should work pretty good.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » June 9th, 2018, 8:35 am

Weldun wrote:When I made the stainless tube and used it to add pellets to the charcoal in my GF the issue I found is the pellets that are above the pellets being consumed or used as fuel if you will don't stand up to the heat and humidity, they swell up. I'm no pellet grill expert but it's my understanding that most if not all pellet burning grills store the pellets in a hopper and utilize an auger to move them into the burn pot which eliminates the pellets exposure to the by products of combustion.
Yeah I read your entire thread. I get that the issue was the swelling of the pellets, but I think you suffered the same issues that the original gravity feeds did which is what I understand as "bridging". By staying with the concave design of the new firebox I should be able to avoid that. At least in theory Image

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » June 9th, 2018, 8:38 am

This stove works off gravity without an auger.Image

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » June 11th, 2018, 6:20 am

I was just thinking about putting a pellet pro hopper coming through the other side and having the pellet pot under the transfer tube. But I’m not sure exactly how the pellet hopper works and if it would get hot enough for the size of the mini GF Cook chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pr0wlunwoof
Expert
Expert

Post by pr0wlunwoof » June 11th, 2018, 4:34 pm

The pellet pro would work. It generates plenty of BTUs and with the mini being insulated you should be able to run it much more efficiently than most pellet grills.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 11th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Actually Frank had a small insulated cabinet at a gathering a few years ago with a pellet pooper and he said it is almost too well insulated to keep the pot hot. I would talk to him before buying the unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”