Mini Modifications

Also called Stump's Clone.
tico

Mini Modifications

Post by tico » February 25th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I purchased the mini plans and would like to make it a bit taller, say 48 inches tall.
Will I need to increase the volume of the fire box?
Just increase the fire box size the same ratio of cool chamber to fire box size?
Is there a break point where the current fire box size will work say 36 inches tall?I

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Mini Modifications

Post by Rodcrafter » February 25th, 2018, 4:50 pm

First, welcome to the crew!

Now Frank said you would be ok to increase the CC by 25% without changing the FB.

I would think you should have gotten the larger size GF to get what you wanted to start with then just add to the legs if needed.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » February 25th, 2018, 7:04 pm

:yth:
Thanks RC!

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

tico

Post by tico » February 25th, 2018, 7:58 pm

I purchased the mini and the double pan.
Looking at the sheet metal once I nested all the panels. I can increase the height instead of having scrap.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 25th, 2018, 10:02 pm

Drops are not a bad thing to have. Be careful about changing tried and true plans just to minimize cutting...you will always find a need for a little plate down the road.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » February 25th, 2018, 11:26 pm

Dirtytires wrote:Drops are not a bad thing to have. Be careful about changing tried and true plans just to minimize cutting...you will always find a need for a little plate down the road.
Amen to that.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » February 27th, 2018, 2:12 am

Yeah, careful with modifying it too much, but as Frank advised me when I was building mine(& RC already mentioned) you can go 25% bigger in the CC without modifying the FB(just make it a little taller to match & it will have the potential to run longer) :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Texasbowhunter
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Texasbowhunter » February 28th, 2018, 12:44 pm

I made mine 34" tall and its Tall enough for me...
48" mini would be TALL
I understood after reading the various post here that there was a 25% built in to the F/B so it could handle the additional C/C...
What I did was take the total cubic inches and divide by 4 for the 25% and added to the OVAL and played with the actual size
So what I was able to do was change the width and length slightly until the cubic inches were achieved with the height I wanted to maintain in my OVAL ...
Then I got to playing with the F/B the same way and ended up adding a bit to the length and width
Now I did not have to increase in size, but being anal, the other side won out...
I ended up increasing the F/B by 1" in length and 1/2" in width...I'm sure it wasn't a true 25% increase but I was comfortable it would be adequate for the job it was about to do...
On another note and I don't know about this one but was concerned it would affect the efficiency of the burn
My understanding you don't want one that runs/burns hot, due to the amount of fuel used would affect the performance...
Hope that makes sense
paul

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”