Also called Stump's Clone.
dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Re: Home Grown Gravity Feed with Flameboss 500

Post by dacolson » April 7th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Great write up! I’m on board w Harry Soo. Legit.

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 7th, 2021, 8:18 pm

It certainly looks good!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » April 7th, 2021, 8:52 pm

dacolson wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 5:49 pm
Great write up! I’m on board w Harry Soo. Legit.
Agreed, He is pretty legit. He is funny too. He has a little dog that he lets try the meat at the end of each video, and as part of an informal test result. I think I'm on his third Franklin Tallow peach paper mopping video and noticed that there is a fourth one out now.

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » April 7th, 2021, 8:59 pm

Big T wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 8:18 pm
It certainly looks good!
Thanks Big T..The Mrs. found some onion bread and made tri-tip sandwiches today from some of the leftover. Delishhhh!!

What I like about the tri-tip is that it takes about half the time as brisket to smoke

^:)^ Life is GOOD!! ^:)^

Regards,

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » April 8th, 2021, 2:17 pm

tinspark wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 3:52 pm
Tried another go at brisket style tritip.
The last batch came out good but i pulled right at 200° and once in the house it got a little hotter and wanted to fall apart a bit. This time I did (4) things different and it came out fantastic. The first go at brisket style tritip didn't have too much bark, so i wanted to try to get some. So after i salt and peppered, I swathed it in mustard. Then I seasoned it with a locally made rub here in fresno called “Pappys” basically a red rub (paprika etc-support local businesses, right?)
Set smoker at 225° and wrapped at 155°
Here is the trick i saw an a video from Harry Soo. where the OP (who has won many awards nationally for smoking etc.) PRE-oiled his peach wrapping paper with the tallow from his brisket .HE heard that is what Aaron Franklin does. He set up a few tests and wanted to try it out, because he too heard about it and never tried it. The oil trick worked, I didn't want the mess, so I used spray oil on the inside of the peach paper. I also added a little pan of water on the transfer tube. Pulled the meat at 195° and it rose another 5° while resting. (only 15-30 minute rest) A second tritip that I cooked was a little heavier and took another hour to get to temp, so we ate and let that one ride.... man!!! It was da bomb diggity!! Melt in the mouth good!! First one took about 5-1/2 hours, and second (heavier one) took about another hour ...
You need no “teef to eat this beef!! “😂

Here is Harry Soo's Facebook video page. I like his methodical approach to getting better results smoking meat..If interested Look at the tallow videos. He is still in the process of posting more results. I am hooked!!! lol!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4dtbT ... RBw/videos
If that piece of meat is a true tri-tip you are doing lots of work. I cook Tri-tips all the time and a good sear to start then on the smoker until they hit 133-140 and they are done. Only take 1-2 hours. They are like a big steak and best when medium rare.

Maybe you are using a different cut then we call a trip tip but your pictures look like the same thing we have.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » April 8th, 2021, 2:21 pm

towtruck wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:17 pm
tinspark wrote:
The last batch came out good but i pulled right at 200° and once in the house it got a little hotter and wanted to fall apart a bit. This time I did (4) things different and it came out fantastic. The first go at brisket style tritip didn't have too much bark, so i wanted to try to get some. So after i salt and peppered, I swathed it in mustard. Then I seasoned it with a locally made rub here in fresno called “Pappys” basically a red rub (paprika etc-support local businesses, right?)
Here is the trick i saw an a video from Harry Soo. where the OP (who has won many awards nationally for smoking etc.) PRE-oiled his peach wrapping paper with the tallow from his brisket .HE heard that is what Aaron Franklin does. He set up a few tests and wanted to try it out, because he too heard about it and never tried it. The oil trick worked, I didn't want the mess, so I used spray oil on the inside of the peach paper. I also added a little pan of water on the transfer tube. Pulled the meat at 195° and it rose another 5° while resting. (only 15-30 minute rest) A second tritip that I cooked was a little heavier and took another hour to get to temp, so we ate and let that one ride.... man!!! It was da bomb diggity!! Melt in the mouth good!! First one took about 5-1/2 hours, and second (heavier one) took about another hour ...

Here is Harry Soo's Facebook video page. I like his methodical approach to getting better results smoking meat..If interested Look at the tallow videos. He is still in the process of posting more results. I am hooked!!! lol!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4dtbT ... RBw/videos
If that piece of meat is a true tri-tip you are doing lots of work. I cook Tri-tips all the time and a good sear to start then on the smoker until they hit 133-140 and they are done. Only take 1-2 hours. They are like a big steak and best when medium rare.

Yours looks great and glad it was tasty....I don't know if I could make myself smoke one that long....I'd be shaking once it hit 140 =))

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » April 8th, 2021, 11:24 pm

towtruck wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:21 pm
towtruck wrote:
tinspark wrote:

Here is Harry Soo's Facebook video page. I like his methodical approach to getting better results smoking meat.. If interested Look at the tallow videos. He is still in the process of posting more results. I am hooked!!! lol!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4dtbT ... RBw/videos

Yours looks great and glad it was tasty....I don't know if I could make myself smoke one that long....I'd be shaking once it hit 140 =))
Yes, it is tritip. It is very popular here on the west coast (Central CA). The GF takes the work out of it, except for a a wrap. I have cooked hundreds of them over the years, almost exclusively on a gas grille with a rotisserie however, and can bust a few out in as little as 45 minutes, over thigh heat (350-375-ish) But there needs to be a fire-watch with a squirt bottle filled with H2o, cause I have torched a few in the past (lol!!) . Medium rare is what many like, and that is up to teh persons preference I suppose.. But.........That's the way everybody does them out here (hot and fast). The only difference is the seasoning choice that sets them apart. On a traditional grille, if you get em' too well done, they get tough.

But I always like tweaking stuff, and trying something different and decided to try to slow cook a few, especially since I was amazed at how fantastic the brisket has been turning out in my GF. . Tri tip actually cooks up a lot like a brisket, but way faster. And if overcooked in the low and slow method, they wanna fall apart like briskets do, but will not get tough like tritip cooked over a grille at high heat. . I like them at 140 -145 degrees when I have grilled them in the past, but that is the way they are always done at get togethers out here (when we used to be able to have gatherings- HA!). Since I have been smoking meat, I have learned so much, and love doing and trying new methods. I know when I show up with this stuff in the future, it will be a hit, especially since most tritips are done fast and hot. Everyone who has tried this have loved it. It is rendered down to buttery perfection. Since I have the timing down now for the most part, I kinda know when to start, and let the gravity feed do all of the work.. The only downside that I can think of is a little more fuel maybe. New is always a novelty :)

Regards,

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » April 9th, 2021, 12:17 am

Food looks GOOOOOD!

How is the offset firebox adapter coming along?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » April 9th, 2021, 10:37 am

tinspark wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 11:24 pm
towtruck wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:21 pm
towtruck wrote:

Yes, it is tritip. It is very popular here on the west coast (Central CA). The GF takes the work out of it, except for a a wrap. I have cooked hundreds of them over the years, almost exclusively on a gas grille with a rotisserie however, and can bust a few out in as little as 45 minutes, over thigh heat (350-375-ish) But there needs to be a fire-watch with a squirt bottle filled with H2o, cause I have torched a few in the past (lol!!) . Medium rare is what many like, and that is up to teh persons preference I suppose.. But.........That's the way everybody does them out here (hot and fast). The only difference is the seasoning choice that sets them apart. On a traditional grille, if you get em' too well done, they get tough.

But I always like tweaking stuff, and trying something different and decided to try to slow cook a few, especially since I was amazed at how fantastic the brisket has been turning out in my GF. . Tri tip actually cooks up a lot like a brisket, but way faster. And if overcooked in the low and slow method, they wanna fall apart like briskets do, but will not get tough like tritip cooked over a grille at high heat. . I like them at 140 -145 degrees when I have grilled them in the past, but that is the way they are always done at get togethers out here (when we used to be able to have gatherings- HA!). Since I have been smoking meat, I have learned so much, and love doing and trying new methods. I know when I show up with this stuff in the future, it will be a hit, especially since most tritips are done fast and hot. Everyone who has tried this have loved it. It is rendered down to buttery perfection. Since I have the timing down now for the most part, I kinda know when to start, and let the gravity feed do all of the work.. The only downside that I can think of is a little more fuel maybe. New is always a novelty :)
I'm on the northern end of Ca. near the border with Or. We have a local butcher that is getting it's meat out of Idaho that marinades five different flavors of tri-tip. The Santa Maria and the Garlic are the best of the bunch. The meat is marbled unlike most tri-tips you buy in the store. I don't even try to buy them bare anymore as his are so good and priced right. I have an internal mechanism that won't let me overcook a good piece of meat. A buddy from the Portland area likes his meat well done and when I cook him fillets he gets to put his back on the grill himself to finish it.....I cannot over cook a good fillet and be right with god =))

A couple years ago a guy at work marinated these four and I smoked them up for a dinner at work.....four different flavors,

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Post by dacolson » April 10th, 2021, 12:31 am

How’s that center feed, towtruck? You must have it dialed in now ... That line up of tritips looks awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » April 10th, 2021, 1:33 am

[quote=Dargo post_id=119617 time=1617945433 user_id=8835]
Food looks GOOOOOD!

[/quote]

Hi Dargo,
Food was fantastic. I credit the smoker though..
The slide in firebox is still just on scratch paper, but still wanna do it. I thinAfter chewing on it for some time now, I will just open the other end up instead of making a slide i attachment. By other end, I mean where the transfer tube welds to the inner skin and add a sleeve through the insulation and make a permanent firebox and move the wheels to the new end point. I think this would be awesome!!
I have been up to my eyeballs in other projects. Yesterday My son hit me up to convert one of their old small kids bikes into a gas scooter, which I already converted about 5 years ago from a little kids bike to an adult kick scooter so that I could putz around the neighborhood with him and two my daughters while they kicked on their "razor" kick scooters. now I am getting this thing set up with a little 80 cc two stroke engine.
Also, since I made the mistake of adding 1000 sq. ft. to our house about ten years back, my wife thinks that I can do anything, and she has been hammering me to remodel the kitchen lately, which it badly needs, and also our main bathroom. I have been resisting for some time now, but I need to do at least one of those two projects for her before I do any more smoker work or else!!! X( ..... :-@ . After 29 years with the same woman, I kinda know what I can and cant get away with.. But I am able to sneak a little father-son fabrication time in at least and WILL finish this thing by golly!!..
I still wanna do that revamp work and add a warming chamber too, but it is on the shelf for the time being..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards,

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » April 10th, 2021, 8:48 am

tinspark wrote:
Dargo wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 12:17 am
Food looks GOOOOOD!

Hi Dargo,
The slide in firebox is still just on scratch paper, but still wanna do it. I thinAfter chewing on it for some time now, I will just open the other end up instead of making a slide i attachment. By other end, I mean where the transfer tube welds to the inner skin and add a sleeve through the insulation and make a permanent firebox and move the wheels to the new end point. I think this would be awesome!!
I have been up to my eyeballs in other projects. Yesterday My son hit me up to convert one of their old small kids bikes into a gas scooter, which I already converted about 5 years ago from a little kids bike to an adult kick scooter so that I could putz around the neighborhood with him and two my daughters while they kicked on their "razor" kick scooters. now I am getting this thing set up with a little 80 cc two stroke engine.
Also, since I made the mistake of adding 1000 sq. ft. to our house about ten years back, my wife thinks that I can do anything, and she has been hammering me to remodel the kitchen lately, which it badly needs, and also our main bathroom. I have been resisting for some time now, but I need to do at least one of those two projects for her before I do any more smoker work or else!!! X( ..... :-@ . After 29 years with the same woman, I kinda know what I can and cant get away with.. But I am able to sneak a little father-son fabrication time in at least and WILL finish this thing by golly!!..
I still wanna do that revamp work and add a warming chamber too, but it is on the shelf for the time being..
Sounds like you almost built a whole nother house. Wow. Well you definitely have to keep the wife happy. I am not as handy and my wife is not patient enough to have our kitchen under construction for 2 months while I learn during the job.

Pick the one she wants the most, I bet I know which one that will be.

Nice scooter contraption. I bet that turns some heads when ridden around. It looks like it will be a fun little gas scooter when your done, depending on your gearing could be quite fast too. Does that little engine have a centrifugal clutch?

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » April 10th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Dargo wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 8:48 am
tinspark wrote:
Dargo wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 12:17 am
Food looks GOOOOOD!

Hi Dargo,
Sounds like you almost built a whole nother house. Wow. Well you definitely have to keep the wife happy. I am not as handy and my wife is not patient enough to have our kitchen under construction for 2 months while I learn during the job.

Nice scooter contraption. I bet that turns some heads when ridden around. It looks like it will be a fun little gas scooter when your done, depending on your gearing could be quite fast too. Does that little engine have a centrifugal clutch?

Yeah, The house was about 1250 sq feet (3 bed 2 bath) not including the garage when we bought it, and I added a master bedroom with a new bath with shower, jacuzzi tub, tankless water heater, toilet, family room and some walk-in closets. Did all of it on the weekends and after work. Permitted with the City (legal in other words) . It was a project!! All by myself. Way too much energy back then.. I would die if I tried it again, especially with a full time job and a bunch of other extra curricular stuff, like I had going on back then.

No , it does not have a centrifugal clutch, it actually has a clutch plate and a clutch. I have a new 4 HP motor in a box and Centrifugal clutch waiting for some love, but it would have been too heavy for this little thing.. This 80 cc motor came with a kit, and was only 100 bucks eBay. Free shipping.
Single speed. It'll do about 25-30 mph, but I might limit that so my kids don't kill themselves on it LOL!!
came with fuel tank, throttle cables, and throttle, kill switch muffler. Designed to put and a V-frame bike, but I thought that this would look cool, and I already had the adult scooter that I modified years back (as mentioned in the last post) and It has just been out back not being ridden.
Fun little project for sure!! I know that this isn't a smoker subject, but I cant do smoker work til I get family stuff done ( so it is smoker related) lol!!!

Regards,

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » April 10th, 2021, 7:47 pm

tinspark wrote:
Dargo wrote:
tinspark wrote: Hi Dargo,

Yeah, The house was about 1250 sq feet (3 bed 2 bath) not including the garage when we bought it, and I added a master bedroom with a new bath with shower, jacuzzi tub, tankless water heater, toilet, family room and some walk-in closets. Did all of it on the weekends and after work. Permitted with the City (legal in other words) . It was a project!! All by myself. Way too much energy back then.. I would die if I tried it again, especially with a full time job and a bunch of other extra curricular stuff, like I had going on back then.

No , it does not have a centrifugal clutch, it actually has a clutch plate and a clutch. I have a new 4 HP motor in a box and Centrifugal clutch waiting for some love, but it would have been too heavy for this little thing.. This 80 cc motor came with a kit, and was only 100 bucks eBay. Free shipping.
Single speed. It'll do about 25-30 mph, but I might limit that so my kids don't kill themselves on it LOL!!
came with fuel tank, throttle cables, and throttle, kill switch muffler. Designed to put and a V-frame bike, but I thought that this would look cool, and I already had the adult scooter that I modified years back (as mentioned in the last post) and It has just been out back not being ridden.
Fun little project for sure!! I know that this isn't a smoker subject, but I cant do smoker work til I get family stuff done ( so it is smoker related) lol!!!
I would follow the project in the way of your smoker project. Is there a random project section in this forum?

I have always wanted to put an engine on a bike, now that I know that little engine cost around $100. Hummmmm.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » April 10th, 2021, 9:07 pm

dacolson wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 12:31 am
How’s that center feed, towtruck? You must have it dialed in now ... That line up of tritips looks awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have it dialed in pretty dang good............but..........my new bbq smoker (mounted next to the center feed) has turned out to be the best pit I have ever ran. Smoke, bbq, it does it all and has the room for what I need. I can run a snake around the edges and do a 12-15 hour smoke without opening it up. It has far exceeded my expectations. I have them both dialed in now and I just put a small rotisserie on the bbq. I want to make a bigger one but need to find parts for what I want.

Now that they have both been tested and I know how to run them I will start using the center feed again....it's been a while since it has seen any smoke through it. Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages but the bbq/smoker is hard to find fault in. I do need to add another air intake on the bbq as using the ash pan as an air intake makes the pit hotter on that end...it's nice to have dual zone heat but I want to control the air better for my needs.

I have better temp control on the center feed as it is very air tight and has zero leaks between the intake and exhaust. I can dial it in and change temps by one degree if I need to. I can now smoke 8 racks of baby backs in the center feed, wrap them for the crutch and toss them on the bbq using the coals left from the center feed, then unwrap and finish them off on the bbq with all the space I need.

The plan now is to put a 4' long spit across the bbq that will turn 50-75 pounds of meat. I don't see myself doing that much at once but I want that spit running across the pit anyway. Currently my spit is sized for small amounts.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 10th, 2021, 10:16 pm

Dargo wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 7:47 pm
tinspark wrote:
Dargo wrote:

I would follow the project in the way of your smoker project. Is there a random project section in this forum?

I have always wanted to put an engine on a bike, now that I know that little engine cost around $100. Hummmmm.

There's a section in ''Let's Talk" under off topic. You're welcome to put anything in there except for politics or religion.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”