Vertical Offset

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
Tip

Vertical Offset

Post by Tip » March 11th, 2021, 10:39 am

I'm doing my first build, by no means am I a professional. I'm building a vertical offset. I was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions? Has anyone used SS all-thread for the door handle/latches? if so how did it work? I like the idea of having the ability to adjust the latches. My FB is 24W x 24L X 20H, with a CC of 24x24x36. I have a piece of 6" tube steel that I planned on using for the chimney. How long does it need to be, and should it be centered or set of to the opposite side of the FB? My understaning is, since it's a vertical smoker the CC acts like a chimney. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Vertical Offset

Post by Dirtytires » March 11th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Use whatever you want for the latches. As long as you get them installed properly there is really no need to adjust them. I rather like the simplicity of a solid welded piece as there are no nuts to constantly tighten. The steel on steel really doesn’t need much “play” in it to rotate.

Yes on the chimney. It can be whatever length you want as it is not used to create the draft. I always like to see them centered on a vertical but not really sure it matters as it is not going to pull the heat across your cooking rack like in a horizontal chamber. I would put a damper on the stack tho.

Tip

Re: Vertical Offset

Post by Tip » March 11th, 2021, 2:00 pm

Thanks for the input, it looks like I'm on the right track.

I don't rely like the look of doing an all-thread latch anyway. I will stick with all steel handle. I will defiantly have a damper on the stack. I hope to use tuning plates and a baffle too.

Return to “Fabrication How to's”