How long to cook brisket above 190

Tips, Tricks, Q and A for Cooking Techniques
ACC
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

How long to cook brisket above 190

Post by ACC » March 10th, 2017, 1:03 pm

How long do you need to cook brisket above 190 internal temperature in order to render out all the collagen from of the fatty part? Stated differently, how can I tell when the fatty part is cook sufficiently to render out the collagen tissue?

I read somewhere that the internal temperature has to reach around 190 degrees before the collagen will turn into gelatin. I also read that if you can easily push a tooth pick into the brisket that its done. Well, I cooked my first brisket and it did not come out as I had hoped. It was a 9 lbs. USDA Prime brisket and I cooked it 8-9 hrs at 250 degrees. The brisket passed both tests but the fatty was still held together by what I assume is what people are calling collagen. The internal temperature reached 190's-low200's, I wrapped it in paper and cooked another hr at 250, dropping to 225. I poked it many places with a toothpick and all seemed fine. The lean part came out good but the fatty part is still a bit tough and unpleasant.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Re: How long to cook brisket above 190

Post by Pete Mazz » March 11th, 2017, 5:25 am

I usually take mine to 203 wrapped in foil and let rest for at least a 1/2 hour. More if I have the time. Resting is key.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » March 11th, 2017, 5:53 am

Yep, I go to 205 & rest for at least an hour. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

ACC
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by ACC » March 11th, 2017, 11:16 am

Thanks for the help. 203-205 sounds like a good target. I probed several places on the brisket and got a variety of temps but most were in the 190's. From its appearance, I clearly did not cook the fatty end long enough. The brisket had rested a few hours before I cut it. I sliced the flat end and put the fatty end in the oven for 2 more hrs at 250. It rendered out nicely. On the next brisket, I'll look for 203 on the fatty end.

If I aim for 203 on the fatty end, how do I keep from over cooking the lean end? I suppose wrapping in foil about halfway through the cook would even out the heat a bit through out the brisket.

Pete Mazz

Post by Pete Mazz » March 11th, 2017, 12:55 pm

I usually separate the point from the flat. I do it raw but if you smoke it until you're ready to foil it's easier. I make burnt ends out of the point.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » March 11th, 2017, 4:27 pm

All of those were great ways to get it done. The main thing about checking the temperature is where. I find it must be in the thick portion of the flat. I sometimes keep them in the warmer on my smoker at 160 for a couple of hours they seem to like that. They just sorta wiggle at that point

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ACC
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by ACC » May 23rd, 2017, 10:02 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. On the last cook, I followed y’all’s advice and the brisket came out great. I separated the flat from the point by cutting the brisket in half. I inserted the temp probe into the thickest part of the flat. I wrapped the pieces when the temp reached 148°. I pulled the flat at 203°, drained the fluids, wrapped it in a blanket and put it in a cooler. I inserted the temp probe into the point and it went in like “buttah.” The temp read 212° so I let it rest 30 minutes and then we ate it. Excellent. I unwrapped the flat 4.75 hrs. after I had put it in the cooler. The temp was 132°. It had a beautiful smoke ring, was fairly moist and delicious.

It may have been better for the flat if I had not drained the fluids before I put it in the cooler, but I didn't want to get my blanket all messed up.

My confidence level has gone up greatly. Thanks everyone.

Pete Mazz

Post by Pete Mazz » May 24th, 2017, 4:39 am

I throw them in a foil tray while wrapped.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » May 24th, 2017, 9:05 am

I have dedicated towels for q and I use foil pans but I leave it in the juice.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Food Prep and Cooking Techniques”