Tips, Tricks, Q and A for Cooking Techniques
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Smoked Scalloped potatoes

Post by Dirtytires » July 19th, 2021, 11:17 am

Picked up a 10 pounds of pork ribs at Costco the other day (ouch, when did they get to $4.99/pound...) and fired up the pit yesterday. The plan was to toss on a few brats for lunch and then have the ribs ready in time for dinner.

My son surprised me when he requested I make my trusty scalloped potatoes. I had lots of room on the rack so figured I could just make them in the smoker. Well, they are awesome in the oven at 350 degrees but 2 hours in the smoker at 250 resulted in an absolute mess. They were still under-cooked (which can be fixed, obviously) but the roux had completely broken down and separated so the beautiful thick cheese sauce was reduced to a layer of water in the bottom of the pan with floating milk curds. Tried it anyway and it just did not have a good taste or consistency.

Good experiment....but I lost this time and had to fire up the oven for some French fries.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Smoked Scalloped potatoes

Post by towtruck » July 19th, 2021, 1:49 pm

Nothing lost nothing gained.....I'm thinking of doing scalloped taters in my pizza oven. I think it will work out as I can set the temp up high and get them cooked without drying them out.......I'll have to post it up when I try it.

SheffSmoker
Expert
Expert
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team "Too drunk to care"

Post by SheffSmoker » July 20th, 2021, 3:55 am

That sounds like me and the wife - "What else can we smoke?!" ;)

Some things are amazing, others bin fodder. We still keep trying the smoked eggplant but can't get that right either. Not much loss as only 50c a time.

wheels

Post by wheels » July 20th, 2021, 7:05 am

A stabilised sauce can be made using sodium citrate: https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/inf ... um-citrate

Hope this helps

Enrgizerbunny
beginner
beginner

Post by Enrgizerbunny » August 24th, 2021, 2:39 pm

I think you can smoke the cheese and then just make the cheese sauce with that and have all the flavor.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 25th, 2021, 11:02 am

I wish it were that simple!

Cheese is typically "cold smoked" at temps below 90 degrees F so as not to melt the cheese. Most pits won't run that low so a smoke generator needs to be used or, at the very least, a much different fire set-up from normal smoking.

Thanks for the idea tho!

Return to “Food Prep and Cooking Techniques”