How Much To Cook?

Tips, Tricks, Q and A for Cooking Techniques
ACC
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

How Much To Cook?

Post by ACC » February 9th, 2019, 11:46 am

Yesterday, my wife informed me that I had volunteered to BBQ for a function at her office on Monday. That means I have to cook tomorrow. I've never cooked for a large group before and have no real idea how much to cook. I'm told there will be 22 people. My wife wants me to cook brisket, Boston butts and back ribs. How many people will a 14 lbs. brisket (untrimmed) feed? What about a Boston Butt? Any suggestions on combinations I should cook would be greatly appreciated.

Your urgent help is needed. Thanks.

Al

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: How Much To Cook?

Post by towtruck » February 9th, 2019, 1:26 pm

1.5 lbs per person rings a bell on sliced meat......Baby backs will feed three people a rack if that is all your serving. If you break it up with other meat a rack could be split two bones each person. The last cook I did with baby backs we cooked 6 racks and fed 13 very hungry people with a few bones left over.

Stewart
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Stewart » February 9th, 2019, 3:47 pm

I cook regularly for large groups of people. I plan for one pound of meat per person. Yes this is more than you need but extra is better than running out. If there's sides and other dishes half a pound per person will be fine. Meat combos are entirely up to you. I regularly cook ribs and chicken or butts and chicken. A few butts go a long way.

ACC
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by ACC » February 10th, 2019, 9:22 am

Thanks for the help. I decided to just cook the largest amount possible on my patio pit. The cooking chamber is only 36"x24". I bought an 18 lbs. untrimmed brisket, a 10 pound Boston Butt, 4 racks of ribs and a chicken. I cut the brisket in half. It's going to be crowded. I might not have room for the chicken.

I could sure use some help figuring out how to deliver the food. I am cooking it today to be served tomorrow. My wife is taking the food to Beaumont which is about 2 hours away. I thought we would slice it later tonight, place it in disposable aluminum pans and refrigerate for a few hours. In the morning, we could heat it for an hour at 225 degrees. Them put it in an ice chest and hit the road. What do you guys think? She is meeting the group at a church which has a kitchen. Would it be better to transport it cold and then heat it at the church? Any ideas how long it would take to heat the food?

I have a food saver vacuum sealer. Can I use this in some way? I think I read somewhere that food can be heated in the bags. Is there a problem doing this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » February 10th, 2019, 10:17 am

Figure at least a couple hours to reheat then transport. Pull and slice just before serving .

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

ACC
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by ACC » February 10th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Thanks Pete.

Return to “Food Prep and Cooking Techniques”