Low and Slow vs Hot and Fast

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
Big Steve
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Part Time BBQ
KCBS 77033

Post by Big Steve » April 6th, 2015, 11:21 pm

So I have a handle on low and slow smoking. Trying to learn about Hot and Fast smoking. Frankly I hate being awake all night at KCBS event feeding our smokers only to see some team sleep till 3:00 then hit it Hot and Fast. So for those that have competed what can you, or will you, tell me about Hot and Fast smoking in a UDS?

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Low and Slow vs Hot and Fast

Post by Puff » April 7th, 2015, 7:10 pm

I might point you in a direction. On one TV show Myron Mixons kid was boasting about hot and fast. Try read some oh that data

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » April 7th, 2015, 11:30 pm

So here's the deal. If I stay up late is to hang out with friends. Then time to rest. Just my pinion. But I am cooking early. Then bring my meats back to temp sat am. The time I have cooked hot and fast.......it was not on purpose. ....... Hi puff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by forty_creek » April 7th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Not a comp cooker yet. But hot n fast requires IMO getting the smoke poured to it for the bark and smoke ring. then wrapping ASAP to protect the bark but finish the cook.
I normally wrap in aluminum pans but set the meat on rack to keep from getting the meat soggy. I think RC does this also.

I prefer low n slow. But have had to crank it up to have food ready in time. As you are aware cooking at hotter temps...15-20mins to long can screw it up. That's where the experience comes in handy. You cooking comps I'm sure you know how to save meat if it's not right. I also think a water pan is more helpful with a hot n fast cook. I do whatever I feel like and per type of meat

Jm2cw

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » April 8th, 2015, 5:45 am

I do put brisket on a rib rack that is setting in an aluminum pan, while smoking. Once it is 150+ I remove the rack an put foil over the pan. It allows me to salvage the juices and the fat on the bottom continues to melt. I don't do hot and fast.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 8th, 2015, 7:25 am

RC have you ever wrapped a brisket w/ butcher paper instead of foil? I've read about it. I think Franklins does this. I know they serve on butcher paper which a lot of Q in Texas is.
Sorry Big Steve... a lil off topic here

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 8th, 2015, 7:29 am

I'm referring to brown butcher paper. I guess you cud use white... I've only seen brown used in the Austin area. Me and some buddies made a Q crawl... All of the Q we got was served on brown butcher paper.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » April 8th, 2015, 8:59 am

No I never have wrapped it in butcher paper. But I can't say it is better or worse. But I believe the difference in white and brown is there is no wax on brown.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “UDS Smokers”