Heat Deflector for a UDS

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Heat Deflector for a UDS

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 22nd, 2015, 10:31 pm

Ok, I just built my first UDS Friday and seasoned it Friday night. Cooked ribs on it Saturday. Frank, nice parts I bought from you guys for this UDS, this drum holds temp like a dream, held 235 like a champ with that perfect light blue smoke. My UDS fits the name UGLY drum smoker as I am still getting the hold of welding, but no air leaks that I know of as it holds temp great, just my welds are not the prettiest yet. Anyway I had 3 full slabs of ribs on the smoker all with my own rub on them, a little high in sugar content. The 2 sets of ribs on the outer side of the grill area turned out great, the 1 slab directly under the basket got charred pretty bad. So I was wondering about making a heat deflector for it by getting like a piece of 1/8 sheet metal and cutting it out as the same size as the cooking grate. Then drill holes spread out evenly across the plate. But I am very hard on myself with cooking, even charring the bottom of 1 slab of ribs, family loved them and very tender with great flavor and color. I did cook at 235 for 3 hours, then wrap in honey and parkay margarine for an hour and the last put BBQ sauce on them unwrapped and cooking for 30 more minutes to let the sauce to carmelize, cooked on bone side down the whole time. Just trying to even the the heat out under the cooking grate more, thoughts, size of holes, 1/8 inch good or thicker or thinner? Thanks

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Heat Deflector for a UDS

Post by Big T » March 22nd, 2015, 10:44 pm

1/8 will work fine, I use a cheap pizza pan that I bought and drilled random 3/8 holes in and it works fine.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Clover Ridge Smokers
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » March 23rd, 2015, 6:37 am

The pizza pan trick works great

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 23rd, 2015, 9:46 am

The problem with the pizza pan on my UDS, on the Charcoal Basket, the handle is welded up so it don't lie down to put a pizza pan on top of it. So I was thinking of just using 1/8 plate and trace off the grilling grate and then cut it out and put 4 bolts through the barrel just about 7 or 8 inches above the basket to put the deflector. 7 or 8 inches high enough above the basket or too high? Thanks

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 23rd, 2015, 9:51 am

Then I was going to take a piece of rebar and bend it into a handle and weld it on the plate so I can set it down by the handle on the bolts like I do with the cooking grate.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » March 23rd, 2015, 9:11 pm

we use 16 ga for the baffle plate and I make it 16" without holes. works great! :beer:

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 24th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Frank_Cox wrote:we use 16 ga for the baffle plate and I make it 16" without holes. works great! :beer:
Frank, how would I suspend the baffle plate over the charcoal grate as the handle is welded up on it so it would not hold a baffle plate without tipping over. That is why I thought about making it the same size as the cooking grate and use bolts just like the cooking grate to hold it over the charcoal grate.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » March 25th, 2015, 7:25 am

Depends on which basket it is. If it's the one that just has a slight bow to it I still just sit right on top of the basket it's the one that has the big hump in the middle for a hook to go in then we drill a hole in the baffle plate To go over that rod

--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » March 25th, 2015, 7:26 am

If the bow is too much in that handle then just take a two pound hammer or something and just give it a good whack and let it go the other way.

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 25th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Actually I think it is just a slight bow in the handle, I think I can bend it down a little and set the 16 inch plate on top of it, Thanks Frank. By the way my first cook on it and I already have a fan club from my ribs, doing brisket Sunday on the UDS. You know March is coming to a close soon, I am getting the bug to start another build, the UDS didn't take long, hope them mini plans are coming along, nothing like :BDHorse: , thanks Frank

El Gato
Expert
Expert
Title: HKU university
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by El Gato » January 31st, 2016, 11:08 pm

:points:

Return to “UDS Smokers”