fire box for 55 go ugly drum ..size help ...

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
bigbook
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: smoker done <nobody beats our meat>

fire box for 55 go ugly drum ..size help ...

Post by bigbook » March 20th, 2015, 6:02 pm

OK what will be too small ..too big. How tall works. . :help:

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: fire box for 55 go ugly drum ..size help ...

Post by Rodcrafter » March 20th, 2015, 7:04 pm

Do you mean fire basket? If so I made one round 12x12 and it works great. I put an folding handle on it, so he could set an baffle plate on top of it.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Pappa Roach1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: fire box for 55 go ugly drum ..size help ...

Post by Pappa Roach1 » April 13th, 2015, 9:47 am

I had mine built using an 18" Weber charcoal grate for the bottom of the basket. I had the sides made 12 Inches tall from expanded metal. I used a small SS rod for the bale. I have a Pizza Pan on the bottom using 3" SS Pipe for the stand off to seperate the Basket from the Ash Pan (Pizza Pan). I have SS bolts with Flat Washers securing the Ash Pan.

I place a #10 can with both ends cut out in the center of the charcoal basket for my fired briquettes to go in. The can also has a bale for easy removal after adding the fired coals. To start with I thought I had the charcoal basket sides too tall at 12 Inches. I have since reconsidered this, and like that height just fine.
From my research before building my UDS, this is a pretty common Charcoal Basket configuration.

My brother has a 12" X 12" square 8" tall Charcoal Basket in his Off Set. I am sure his charcoal basket would work fine in my UDS. It just would not cook for nearly as long on a single firing, especially using Lump that takes up a lot of space in the basket.

Bob

Return to “UDS Smokers”