UDS Almost Completed

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
Pappa Roach1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

UDS Almost Completed

Post by Pappa Roach1 » March 12th, 2015, 9:02 am

We finally had the weather break so that I could get some paint on my drum.
We assembled it yesterday morning, and did our seasoning burn. I sprayed the inside of the drum with Canola Oil.

I was out of lump, so I used some of my Dutch Oven charcoal. I used one of my small chimneys, and filled it a little over half full of Kingsford briquetts. I placed a tomato juice can with both ends cut out in the charcoal basket, and added the remainder of the 16.6 pound bag of charcoal.

We placed the white charcoal in the can, and then removed the can from the basket. We put the charcoal basket in the smoker at 11:50 AM.
All 4 of the 3/4" Intakes were open, as well as all 4 of the 1/2" Exhaust Holes.
12:00 = 225 deg
12:15 = 250 deg
12:39 = 275 deg
12:41 Capped both front Intakes, both Ball Valves closed to 3/4 open
1:18 260 deg Opened both ball valves to 100%
1:44 265 deg Opened one of the front Intakes.
2:20 290 deg Took the lid off the inside looked good.

5:29 Put 4 pork steaks on the second rack down.
5:48 Put the Vegatable Medley on the Top Rack
Maintained a temperature of very close to 285 for the cook.
6:30 Turned the Pork Steaks, and checked the Vegatables, they needed to cook longer. Steaks looking good.
7:00 Everything is done.

Checking the Drum every half hour and tweeking the valves a little I kept it between 265 - 275 till 9 PM.
The temperature was down to 245 at 9:30 I opened up the Intakes and it stayed at 250 till 11 PM.

Front Air Intake 3/4" Floor Flange, with Male and Female 90, with a Brass 3/4" Pipe to Garden Hose adapter.
Air Intake with Brass Hose Cap installed. A little classier than a Cast Iron Pipe Cap.

If you caught the Exhaust Size above, it was 4 each 1/2". My China copy of a Weber Dome lid did not have full 3/4" Exhaust holes. I am of the opinion that you need more Exhaust than Intake. Which I do not have. I think the small exhaust was choking the drum down a little more than needed.
I need to run my drum to the shop and have Dale weld my cast iron wheels on the bottom. I will see about having him open the exhaust holes up a little with his Die Grinder while I am at the shop.
I picked up a third Leg Rack yesterday. I think I will cook a batch of Legs this afternoon.

Bob

elkhorn98
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: UDS Almost Completed

Post by elkhorn98 » March 12th, 2015, 9:36 am

You could add a 2nd weber style exhaust wheel with another 4 holes.

Pappa Roach1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: UDS Almost Completed

Post by Pappa Roach1 » March 12th, 2015, 10:04 am

elkhorn98
A second weber style exhaust would be ideal.
From my first run with Briquettes I do not believe it would go past 300 with all Intakes wide open on briquettes. I believe this is from the Exhaust being too small.

I will be running Kingsford Lump this afternoon. They make both Kingsford and Frontier within 10 miles of where I live. Two different plants. Nice to have the good stuff made locally.

I will have a handle on Lump and a larger Exhaust by tonight with luck, and Dale is not fishing.

Bob

Return to “UDS Smokers”