85 gallon uds

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
acbaldwi

85 gallon uds

Post by acbaldwi » November 21st, 2014, 11:58 pm

New to here, but i just picked up an 85 gallon salvage drum to start building out my second uds... I've found the 55 gallon to not have quite enough room for me :P

Anyone know if the distance from the fire to the grates should change based upon the larger drum size?

Im gonna use a heater meter setup to stoke the fire so i will only have the one air intake at the bottom.

Thanks

Aaron

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: 85 gallon uds

Post by Rodcrafter » November 22nd, 2014, 9:40 am

Welcome to the site hope you have a good time building your cooker. I'm a little bit confused about what the heater meter set up is so if you would let us know and good luck.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » November 22nd, 2014, 8:56 pm

is it like a Digi-Q? or a pit minder? i think its about the same with those drums as it is the 55 gallon

acbaldwi

Post by acbaldwi » November 23rd, 2014, 9:57 pm

yep its a homebuilt version of a digiq... details here http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-He ... Controller

thanks!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 24th, 2014, 3:56 pm

:beer:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Pappa Roach1
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Pappa Roach1 » February 12th, 2015, 10:19 am

What are the measurments on the drum.
Since you are worried about Basket to Cooking Grate height, I am guessing it is taller.

Google "Big Pappa Smoker Kits", and look at his Charcoal Basket design. It is made with spider legs. His design allows the basket to be repositioned higher in the drum for searing. The spider legs go into U Bolts on the drum interior.
Lowes carries Stanley brand Stainless Steel U Bolts.
I am sure you could do this if the basket to grill height ends up being excessive.
I would try it on the bottom, and see how it works first. You can always add the U Bolts, and outriggers on the charcoal basket if you need to adjust it up in the drum.

Bob

Return to “UDS Smokers”