Double barrel build questions

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
mmmd5

Double barrel build questions

Post by mmmd5 » November 6th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Hello all, after reading lots of threads on here I've decided to try and build my first smoker. I have somewhat of a theme project from a boat I was restoring (1959 Buehler turbocraft). Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to scrap the extra fuel tanks and thought I'd build a double barrel style unit with them. They're 36" x 12" and have an existing 2" threaded nipple out the top of each of them. I was going to use that for the exhaust stack if it's the right size. My question is related to the FB and the connection sizes between the two tanks. The Pit Sizing calc says my FB is 200% bigger than recommended. What are the consequences if a I have a FB that's too large? Also how would I size the connecting pipes between the FB and CC? Can I use the recommended throat open area and divide by the number of inlets into the CC (2 or 3 i was thinking)? Any tips or recommendations are much appreciated !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Clover Ridge Smokers
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Re: Double barrel build questions

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » November 6th, 2014, 9:16 pm

First off I have to say I love theme builds.

The main reason you don't want to have a FB that's that large is you will have a inefficient fire. This means it will be next to impossible to achieve the thin blue smoke that is needed for creating great Q. Inefficient fires then to create creosote which could taint your meat. Take the time to build your smoker based on the results of the pit calculator. Don't make the FB any greater than 110%

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

mmmd5

Post by mmmd5 » November 10th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Ok, thank you for the insight and suggestions. I'll have to design and fabricate a side FB box then. How do traditional DB units 'work' then if they have a FB the same size as the CC? Do the dampers in between the barrels control this effectively?

Clover Ridge Smokers
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » November 13th, 2014, 8:31 am

I not familiar with that specific design, but I would guess they are using dampers to control things. Of the ones I've seen working, they all tend to be out putting white smoke which means they are not running correctly.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Return to “UDS Smokers”