Best door temp gauges for my RF

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
bowmanjk243
beginner
beginner

Best door temp gauges for my RF

Post by bowmanjk243 » January 1st, 2020, 8:34 am

Doing a shout out to the forum to see which temp gauges you all have had good luck with.. Spent the good money on a set of Tel-Tru''s on my last RF build and not happy with them. They have always been accurate, but at year four or five the glass started to get a haze on inside. Can hardly read the dials now. Need to replace and also need to by gauges for a new RF I am building for my dad. Don't mind spending good money for something that will last, but not seeing a lot of good options out there. Thoughts?

120 GAL RF Smoker Builds

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Best door temp gauges for my RF

Post by Big T » January 1st, 2020, 10:19 am

I haven't found anything that lasts more than 4 or 5 years without fogging up or getting moisture in them. I will say that most of my builds are out in the elements or semi covered so they may hold up longer if they were better taken care of. I've been using River Country gauges on my last few builds and they are pretty nice for the money.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

bowmanjk243
beginner
beginner

Post by bowmanjk243 » January 1st, 2020, 12:34 pm

Thanks Big T,, I will give the River Country a look. I always keep my pit out of the elements, but interesting to hear that the gauges are only good for 4 or 5 years. Thought maybe I just got a bad batch of them.. lol

120 GAL RF Smoker Builds

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » January 2nd, 2020, 12:08 pm

I’m on year number 5 with five different tel-tru dials and they look just as nice as the day I installed them. Truth be told, my smoker sits under the back porch or gets pulled into the garage in case of rain. Definitely some truth in theory that keeping out of the elements will prolong lifespan.

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Smurf » January 3rd, 2020, 8:53 pm

Agree with BigT about river country have used them several times with no complaints. My first smoker has tel-tru still doing good at 6+ years. It is stored inside

bowmanjk243
beginner
beginner

Post by bowmanjk243 » January 3rd, 2020, 9:20 pm

Thanks Smurf.. I ordered the River Country and will give them a go. Must have just got a bad batch of the Tel-Tru's I guess. My smoker has always been stored inside. Maybe only rained on a few times while cooking. Not only did the glass fog, but the orange color in the smoke range is almost faded away. I do use my smoker a lot, don't know if that makes a difference.

120 GAL RF Smoker Builds

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » January 3rd, 2020, 9:45 pm

Good feedback.....keep us tuned in to your results. Weather, humidity and use have a lot to due with everything in life. Myuse is moderate with absolutely no humidity or rain.

BChandler81
beginner
beginner

Post by BChandler81 » April 29th, 2020, 8:53 am

Going to install some on mine soon!! I think I’m going to go with the River Country 3” total able to recalibrate if need be. Best reviews I’ve found on temp gauges

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”