SheffSmoker
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team "Too drunk to care"

First reverse flow in the works

Post by SheffSmoker » June 11th, 2021, 12:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm in prep and planning stages of a small patio reverse flow smoker. Decided to see how the other half live so thought I'd give one a go. :)

Already cut the CC down to it's end size, removing the bell ends from the tank it started out life as - they caused me enough head scratching on the 2nd build marrying curved ends that I swore I'd never do it again. :exp:

So I've ended up with a 14.5" dia x 33" long CC with flat ends. Nice compact size, but will be able to have the same size cook rack as my current smoker as I can go right up to the edge, save for the end near the BP lip (don't want any grease under it!).

Plugging the numbers in the calc it comes out with a 13" square FB giving 120%, or a 12.5" square FB giving 107%. Sounds great on paper until reality shows just how small a 13" FB is - tiny! I'm not bothered about being restricted by length of splits as the supply I normally get are all under 10" long anyway, just big chunks which I split down slimmer.

I could make it rectangular instead, so I guess my question is what would you learned folk do? Keep it square? Make it less tall as it is deep and wide? That would restrict the use of an ash pan as well though thinking on.

I've also noticed a lot of you "notch" the FB into the CC quite a ways, is there a reason behind this, or am I cool with just welding the square to the end of the CC?

Cheers :)

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: First reverse flow in the works

Post by towtruck » June 11th, 2021, 2:20 pm

I would make sure you have the height in the fire box. You need room for the ash, the coals, the wood, and a good head on top for everything to burn in. You get things too close to the ceiling and it won't burn right.

I'll let the more technical guys weigh in on the rest.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 11th, 2021, 3:49 pm

:yth: It's all about the volume of the box and not about the shape. I would go with whatever works best for the inner workings of the FB, ash pan and intake vents. As for where to mount the FB to the CC, flat on the end is the best way to do it. If you notch it into the tank, you risk having a hot spot on that end of the CC.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Lucky and grateful
BBQ Comp Team Name: Only competing with myself

Post by dacolson » June 11th, 2021, 5:48 pm

:yth:
You might even consider sacrificing the ash pan to get as much usable space in the fb.

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

SheffSmoker
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by SheffSmoker » June 12th, 2021, 5:03 am

Cheers all - I hoped it would be fine just welded on the end and not notched in. :)

I'll do a few mock ups of different FB layouts and see what works.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 12th, 2021, 11:59 am

One of the big reasons people make the firebox longer is to accommodate the logs they use. Absolutely no reason to have to re-cut a few inches off every split for just a few inches. Since that is not an option for you, keeping a square firebox would make the most sense, in your case.

SheffSmoker
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by SheffSmoker » June 12th, 2021, 2:46 pm

Been thinking outside the box today as well, sat in the garden in the sunshine with a beer or 12 - why does the FB door need to be on the end? The most sheltered part of our garden where I cook it's a squeeze for me to get in on the end and tend the fire on my knees. Going to try this one on the front, same plane as the CC door so everything is serviced from one side. :)

Makes sense to me, but hey I'm a bit drunk so who knows. :D

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 13th, 2021, 1:34 pm

Being on the end, and away from the firebox, kinda helps prevent all the hot air in the firebox from being dumped everytime you open the door. No reason you cannot put it on any side you want, and ease of use is a good reason to move it, but expect the firebox to take a bit more time to recover. Another point worth mentioning is my fire is centered in the firebox so heat is pretty evenly fed to both front/back of the cook chamber. You could get some hot spots depending on your actual fire placement.

SheffSmoker
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by SheffSmoker » June 14th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Good point actually DT - I slide mine back and forth to adjust temps slightly when a new split goes on.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”