Mill Scale

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Evans Custom

Mill Scale

Post by Evans Custom » October 29th, 2020, 11:09 am

Hello all. What’s everyone do after they’re build with mill scale? Sandblast inside and out before paint? Thanks

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Mill Scale

Post by towtruck » October 29th, 2020, 11:15 am

Sandblast the outside, paint, and just let the inside season up with a light coat of vegetable spray. My last build I did not clean the metal right and I am still fighting it. I ended up using Muriatic acid to help clean it up so the paint would stick......needless to say I'm learning to like the rusted spots :)

charcoalwilly
beginner
beginner
Title: Rookie MIG welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by charcoalwilly » October 29th, 2020, 9:12 pm

How difficult is it to find a place that will sandblast the smoker? As alternative, do metal supply stores typically have option to sand blast the pieces before you pick them up?

dacolson
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by dacolson » October 29th, 2020, 9:29 pm

You can purchase cold rolled steel which won’t have mill scale. Only hot rolled does. A bit more expensive but maybe offset by the cost of sandblasting?

Dave C - QueNorth Smokers
Farmington, MN

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Mill Sca

Post by Dirtytires » October 30th, 2020, 11:15 am

Most steel supply won’t have the ability to media blast. It’s best to wait till after completion of your project to blast it. Sometimes used metal that is painted or rusted needs to be done before hand just to make fabrication easier but will need to be done so again before paint to get off the splatter, oil and whatnot.

Any place that does media blasting will happily process anything for you, big or small. You should be able to search for ‘media-blasting’ and find one pretty easily. I have a fair amount of my projects powder coated and they blast before coating it so looking for a powder coat or paint shop would also be a possibility. If you still can’t find a shop, call up a local mechanic/car restoration shop and ask where they take their cars/frames to have blasted.

dkjonesau
beginner
beginner

Post by dkjonesau » November 10th, 2020, 7:05 am

Kinda on but off topic. Will sandblasting remove galvanised coating from propane tanks? In Australia, so they're only coated on the outside.

DJ

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 10th, 2020, 10:42 am

Unsure of removing galvanized coating. You might call your local sandblaster. My guess is probably not unless they use a more aggressive media and really spend some time on it.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”