Loading meat into smoker.

Tips, Tricks, Q and A for Cooking Techniques
towtruck
Expert
Expert

Loading meat into smoker.

Post by towtruck » May 17th, 2020, 11:16 pm

I have a question that is on my mind. Is it necessary to put the meat onto the smoker only when you are at your target temp?

My smoker is an oddball and does not have a lot of extra air space. It has lots of steel though. I usually get my pit up to at least 200 before I add the meat but I want to know what good or bad effects could happen if I added the meat way sooner than that. I would like to wait until the steam from first firing up was gone and then let the meat and pit come up to temp together. I don't cook by time so that would not be an issue. I don't use lighter fluid so that would not be an issue either with bad taste from un-burned fuel.

When I wait until my pit is up to temp and add a lot of meat the temps drop way down anyway and take time to build back up. All the recipes you read about say to add the meat once it's up to temp......I guess I'm searching for the "why". The only reason I can think of is the meat being in an environment to grow bacteria longer.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Loading meat into smoker.

Post by Dirtytires » May 17th, 2020, 11:39 pm

I wait till the fire stabilizes but not necessarily till it reaches temp. I find a ‘new’ fire tends to smoke a bit until it gets going and settles down a bit and I don’t want all that dark smoke on the meat. Once it settles down-in about 30 minutes for mine- I have no problem adding meat.

I use 2 full chutes of fully lit lump charcoal and then put 2-3 small splits on top to light mine.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » May 17th, 2020, 11:41 pm

I light mine with two full chimneys as well. I was thinking as soon as the heavy smoke and steam were gone it should be safe to add the meat. I don't use any splits so that initial smoke off the wood is not an issue. I do watch a lot of nice thin blue smoke go up in the air that could be soaking into my meat!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 17th, 2020, 11:46 pm

Yep....once you get thin blue smoke, I would say you are safety add meat.

Return to “Food Prep and Cooking Techniques”