First reverse flow build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
SmokingPerformance

First reverse flow build

Post by SmokingPerformance » January 13th, 2020, 9:17 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but I've visited the site a few times looking for ideas so I joined your great group! We are in the beginning stages of building a reverse flow smoker using 24" diameter pipe that's 3/8 thick. We are planning a warming cabinet/ vertical smoker above the fire box that is also 24" diameter and 42" tall. The cook chamber will be 72" long with a extra 6" dome at the end. The fire box will be made from the 24" pipe as well and turned horizontal the same direction as the cook chamber. I have a few questions regarding fire box size. Since I want to use the vertical warming cabinet as a smoker at times as well do I need to calculate it into my fire box size? And any thoughts on sliding baffles to direct heat into the vertical cabinet and what size? I was thinking of one directly into it from the fire box and also one from the cook chamber into the side of it as well. I'll have a chimney out of the vertical cabinet with a damper on it. Thanks to you all for your help and I'll post pics of it as I go and of my previous builds!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: First reverse flow build

Post by towtruck » January 13th, 2020, 9:36 am

Welcome!

I cannot help you much with your build but there are others that will be along to help. I have seen many build photos here of just what your looking for. You should be able to figure it all out!

Take a look at the thread titled 400 gallon RF Tank.

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » January 13th, 2020, 10:41 am

Welcome Aboard from Denison,TX. Sounds like a good build.
Have you started mocking it up yet or made a napkin drawing???

Claud

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » January 13th, 2020, 10:50 am

SmokingPerformance wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 9:17 am
I have a few questions regarding fire box size. Since I want to use the vertical warming cabinet as a smoker at times as well do I need to calculate it into my fire box size?
Warming cabinet volumes are not included when calculating the firebox size.

Welcome to the board!

SmokingPerformance

Post by SmokingPerformance » January 13th, 2020, 12:37 pm

So even if I want to use the reverse flow and the vertical as a smoker at the same time I still don't have to include it in fire box size? Thank you for your help!

SmokingPerformance

Post by SmokingPerformance » January 13th, 2020, 12:38 pm

I have not have it mocked up but I do have preliminary drawings and most of my materials and a trailer already.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 13th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Mp4 is correct, the WC is ''free'', no need to figure in that volume with your CC. I built a 24'' X 48'' with a WC above the FB and installed baffles between the FB and WC and the CC and WC. I made the opening from the FB to WC 5'' X 5'' with a sliding baffle and I made the opening from the CC to WC the same size as the Throat but after using it for a while I don't think it really needs to be that big. I can match temps in both chambers or run them at different temps if I want to. I'll post a link to my build when I get a chance and I have some more build pictures on my phone that I can post if you need me to, also check out the Mack build thread in the RF section and Frank has a very well documented thread of how he done his set up. I went with a simple sliding baffle on my build.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

SmokingPerformance

Post by SmokingPerformance » January 13th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Thanks Big T for the info. I'll check out the builds you mentioned. I've been busy here working on modifying my trailer to hold up to the weight of the smoker but I'll post pics of the build along the way. I'll be back at it through the week.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » January 14th, 2020, 12:27 am

I followed BigT’s advice on my build and couldn’t be happier.

I used a 4 inch circle between firebox/warmer and between cook chamber/warmer and slides on both. No real reason other than I already had the plasma cutter set up for 4 inch circles for the chimney holes.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”