Hello from Sunny Florida

Tell us a little about yourself!
chevyp-u
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Hello from Sunny Florida

Post by chevyp-u » February 8th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Hello Everybody
Just wanted to say Hi and how glad I am to have a site like this, this is my first smoker that I am building on my own (well almost with Frank’s help) a lot of help!
I love to build projects and this one is looking pretty good, I took a 120 gal propane tank and a old trailer and started this about two weeks ago. If all goes well we should be smoking in a week, plus or minus a day or two. cannot wait picking up steel for the fire box today and laying out the baffle plate. Does anybody have some ideas for a utensils box for the front of a trailer. I would like to make something on the front of the trailer to hold misc. things?? Thanks for listening
PS how do you add pitures?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1066238759 ... QHBwWUPvuA#

try this if you would like to see the rest of the pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chevyp-u on February 15th, 2011, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rlmax02
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: JUST BUSTED BBQ

Re: Hello from Sunny Florida

Post by rlmax02 » February 8th, 2011, 4:47 pm

hey ther chevyp-u. I would love to see some pics of the progress on your build. welcome to the site

REMEMBER....WHEREVER YOU GO...THERE YOU ARE.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » February 8th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Hey Chevyp-u!
Glad you signed up :mrgreen: Looking forward to all your posts. Tom comes up with some great stuff for those kinds of builds seein as he runs out of a competition trailer and all. I'm going to let him help ya with that 8-) I would tend to say make your own or modify something you have layin around.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » February 8th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Welcome to the site chevyp-u, glad you found us.

The pics are painless for the most part, I use photobucket and picasa to host my pictures. Any pic hosting site will work or you can load them right to the site if you like.

From a hosting site, you want to get about a 400x600 size and just copy the img tag and paste it right into the message.

If you load it straight to the site, again its best if its resized but not mandatory. If you can't resize them just load um up like you have them and I can resize them for ya until we get the automatic pic resizer installed to the site.

As far as storage on your trailer, its hard to say right off the top of my head without seeing a pic of what you are working with. The first thing that comes to mind is to use thin wall tubing and make a frame, then skin it with sheet aluminum. At my local scrap yard 5x10 foot sheets can be had for about 25 bucks each. This would keep things on the lighter side if necessary. On my trailer build I needed weight up front to counter a minior miscalculation on weight distribution, so I framed my storage box with 12 gauge square tube and plywood for the lid skin and expanded for the front.

Like I said I needed the weight so I went kinda heavy.

Now, my latest is to use a commercial freezer as dry storage. At first it was going to be my new smoker but after review I am going to use it for storage. You can watch the restaurant auctions for a single frig or freezer for cheep. Most are stainless and also have a locking door. I am not sure on this but I think you can polish it to a mirror finish, giving the super bling factor.

Now Listen.....Thats what I say.
One of these days I want to learn to weld real good
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: OB1
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Frank_Cox » March 29th, 2011, 10:23 pm

I wanted to bump this post.
if you notice the first pic, chevy-p used some round tubing to act as a sort of flow straightener to help push the air mass upward against the bottom of the baffleplate and to cut down on turbulence.
this is a method i have recently started recommending but i have not tested it myself as of yet.

chevyp-u
beginner
beginner

Post by chevyp-u » October 22nd, 2018, 10:47 am

Hey back at it! so after 7 years! things are working great! Frank I have to say thank you for sending the update for the double DIY Double pan smoker.
So I'm back in! The round rod I welded in works great and I would recommend it. Unlike Frank and Tom I'm only a light wait in this field, But this smoker works amazing I follow their instructions to the T and my temperature difference is no more then two degrees from front to back. as far as build design haven't changed a thing but added little things for convenance. When I get home I will get pictures and send them hopefully I will write more from time to time. Thanks again for all your help! I am looking to start a new project soon and as always it will start here!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 22nd, 2018, 7:58 pm

Welcome back!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 23rd, 2018, 5:03 am

:yth:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 23rd, 2018, 6:01 pm

Welcome back to the crew!

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

chevyp-u
beginner
beginner

Post by chevyp-u » November 7th, 2018, 11:31 am

Hey does anyone recommend a paint product that will stay on? It has been used well and I tried stove black from Home Depot but I have to redo it a lot. It looks a little rough so wanted to clean it up and paint again before posting pictures.... You don't see it using it but when I went to take some pictures of it, She look rough so don't want to send them out like that!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 7th, 2018, 2:28 pm

It doesn’t matter what the dress looks like...it’s the heart and mind that matters.

Right?

Anyway, I’m looking as well for a good paint and have found many require a 400 degree cure. That just isn’t going to happen on my pit unless I have it powder-coated and they bake it. The only non-cure high heat product I’ve found is a PPG high temp paint. It requires a primer and they recommend media blasting first. It’s expensive and needs to be sprayed so you need a hvlp rig (which I have). Might be worth it if you are constantly painting yours.

I’d love to hear what others come up with.

chevyp-u
beginner
beginner

Post by chevyp-u » November 10th, 2018, 12:14 pm

I agree it works well so looks don’t matter until you go to show it off! Making a stainless steel shelf To work off of now always had wood, but trying to dress her up! Since it works well don’t want to touch that part of it.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”