My plans are changing all around

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Boston
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

My plans are changing all around

Post by Boston » July 2nd, 2019, 1:11 pm

So I have been spending a bunch of time reading through the various threads on here, and looking at the various builds, and I have to say, I am really glad that I did.

I was going to keep it basic, 250 gallon or 30" pipe, RF with a round firebox, trailer mounted setup. Well thanks to you guys I am thinking about changing that up some.

Now I am thinking, still the 250 gallon or 30" pipe RF. Instead of the round firebox going with a rectangle shape FB/WC like Frank has on the Mack. Honestly the WC is something I never would have considered, thought about, or even known about. lol.

When it comes to insulating the FB is it worth it? Is it worth doing a throat and damper from the CC to the WC, or do you get good radiant heat temps just from the FB? I do plan on putting a throat with a damper from the FB to the WC so I can really take the temps up when I want to.

Also someone please tell me that it isn't overkill to go with this size smoker when I might not ever have more then a couple briskets or butts on it, or half a dozen racks of ribs? I figured it was better to go bigger then I think I would need, just incase some day I do need it. Is there a downside to it, other then more fuel used?

But seriously thank you for all of the amazing information on here. It is really allowing me to think of and see things that I never would have thought about before in the design of it. When I do it, I want to make sure I fully think about everything first.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: My plans are changing all around

Post by Big T » July 2nd, 2019, 6:20 pm

I just built my first one with a WC and added dampers from the FB to WC and CC to WC and I'm glad that I done it. I can run the CC and WC the same temps or completely different temps with no problem. You might be able to accomplish this without both dampers but I don't know that for sure. The only thing that I insulated was the gap between the bottom of the WC and the top of the FB. The 2 biggest pros of insulating are safety and efficiency, you can still burn yourself but it's not nearly as hot as an un insulated FB. I live in lower Alabama so I didn't feel that it was worth the extra work and cost seeing as it rarely gets cold here, even during the winter. As for the question of overkill, if you build it correctly sized according to the calculator then it doesn't require a lot of fuel to maintain temp so I would say go for it if you already have your materials. I have a 24'' X 48'' with a WC and it runs 250-275 degrees on 2 splits every 45-60 minutes with a couple of racks of ribs and it burns 3 splits over the same time span if it's fully loaded with meat.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Boston
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Boston » July 3rd, 2019, 10:03 am

Thank you Big T. So it sounds like putting the dampers between the FB and WC, and between the CC and WC are definitely the way to go. better to have them and not need them. I will be giving the insulation some serious consideration, safety is always good, and it can get cold here during the winter. That is good to know how efficient it can be as far as fuel usage. Thank you again! :kewl:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 3rd, 2019, 4:11 pm

That is a big smoker for a couple briskets. When it gets too big we rationalize that it’s not worth hating it up so we don’t use it. Obviously, too small is also a problem but you could downsize a bi and be fine. Mine is a 24x48 with a warmer box and I can feed ribs to 75 guys with no problem. Unless you constantly feed 100+ I’d say you mit be a bit big.

And yes, definitely dampers between warmer and firebox. I also did between firebox and cook chamber and between cook chamber and warmer so I have complete control of smoke and temp.

Boston
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Boston » July 3rd, 2019, 7:24 pm

Thank you for the input DT. That is what I was starting to wonder on the size. And then what I thought, depending on the size of the pipe or tank that I get, possibly cutting it down and making 2 smokers, a trailer mounted one, and then just a smaller one for the back yard. Thank you on the reference of how many people you can feed on that size smoker. That definitely gives me a good perspective.

It certainly sounds like doing the dampers will be the way to go. Thank you for all the help and info :kewl:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 4th, 2019, 10:42 pm

No problem...happy to help anytime.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”