55 Gal Reverse Smoker

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
The Flying Dutchman

55 Gal Reverse Smoker

Post by The Flying Dutchman » June 28th, 2019, 7:30 am

Morning everyone,

I’ll be attempting my first build this weekend out of two 55 gallon drums but have a few noob questions before I start.

1. My plan is to shorten one barrel to around 20” in length for the FB and have it connected as you usually see the the CC. Would that be appropriately sized?

2. Both barrels have the infamous red liner. My property is in a neighbourhood and a big burn out won’t be a possibility. I was thinking of fabricating and assembling my pit and then getting both the CC and FB to a good temp to burn out the liner. Followed by some grinding and buffing time. Feasible? Or should I just find a way to clean them out in their original state?

All for now!! Thanks in advance

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: 55 Gal Reverse Smoker

Post by Dirtytires » June 28th, 2019, 10:30 am

Well, assuming the diameter of the barrel you have is 22.5 inches, that would mean a 20inch section has a volume of 7952sqin. Using the pit calculator, we find that a cook chamber with 55 gal capacity should have a firebox of 4600 sq in. So, if you want to use a piece of barrel, you would use a piece only 11.5 inches long.

In my opinion, that is too short for a firebox and would be pretty unusable as logs won’t fit. I might suggest trying to find a smaller 30 gal barrel of just fabricate a square firebox. The square is so much easier to use and build that it will be worth the effort, in my opinion.

As far as the liner, I don’t know what it is. No problem burning it out later but just putting a hot fire in the firebox won’t work.

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman » June 28th, 2019, 1:15 pm

I was able to source an old air compressor so I’m going to use that as my FB instead, thicker walls and is slightly larger then the 11.5 x 20 barrel would be! Excited, going to get started tomorrow morning and will hopefully have some pictures to post.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 28th, 2019, 5:49 pm

So, between 5:30 and 11:15am you found a new tank? That’s fast searching.....

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman » June 28th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Haha the old man is a collector of all things new and old.
Found a new tank for the FB, all the necessary steel for frame and a brand new hobbyist welder still in box all in one afternoon. 👍👍

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman » June 28th, 2019, 6:03 pm

What’re you’re thoughts on attaching the exhaust stack to the threaded cap that’s already on closed barrels? Is that hole big enough to properly move the smoke? I’ve seen it done in my research just not sure how efficient it would be. Great idea though.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » June 28th, 2019, 8:42 pm

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
June 28th, 2019, 6:03 pm
What’re you’re thoughts on attaching the exhaust stack to the threaded cap that’s already on closed barrels? Is that hole big enough to properly move the smoke? I’ve seen it done in my research just not sure how efficient it would be. Great idea though.
If the calculator calls for that size hole it will work...run it through the calculator and see if it works.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 28th, 2019, 10:24 pm

You need to run the pit calculator. Simply welding tanks together and screwing in an exaust pipe without following the numbes increases the chance is a ill-running pit. It really does make a difference!

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » June 29th, 2019, 12:33 am

:yth: Others have done the numbers so you don't have to... Use the numbers, you'll be glad you did.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”