Hello from NH

Tell us a little about yourself!
Cgrnh

Hello from NH

Post by Cgrnh » April 14th, 2019, 7:40 am

Morning Everyone.

I have been smoking for the last several years on a Green Mountain Pellet smoker. As much as I love my pellet smoker it is not quite the same as using charcoal or even wood to smoke with. I have always wanted to build my own smoker. A friend of mine told me about this site and I have been poking around. I have to say there is a ton of information on this site.

I have gotten my hands on a 275 gallon oil drum that I have been thinking about turning into a smoker. I am looking for some design ideas.
Am I better to build a reverse smoker or an offset smoker?
What are the benefits of either smoker?
Has anyone built a smoker out of an oil drum?

Thank you
Chris

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Hello from NH

Post by Dirtytires » April 14th, 2019, 11:17 am

On a traditional offset, the heat comesfrom the firebox, thru the cook chamber and out the exaust on the other side. By design, the side of the cook chamber closest to the firebox is much hotter—-sometimes so much so that some cooking space is unusable. Typically, meat next to be rotated a few times during the cook to get it to cook evenly. Many that build this type of smoker end up fabricating tuning plates to balthe heat a bit better.

With a reverse flow, the heat exiting the firebox is trapped under a solid plate and enters the cook chamber on the opposite side. The heat then travels thru the cc and back to the firebox side to get to the exaust. The benefit of the baffle plate is that it allows radiant heat from below and also does a great job of softening up temp differences (much like a tuning plate). An added benefit is that the baffle plate also helps with flavor and moisture by vaporizing the fat drippings, and is then easier to clean since it is a flat surface.

I have cooked on both and have produced great food with either. I absolutely love how much easier the rf is to regulate the fire maintain even temps. They sit side by side but I haven’t touched the traditional since I finished the rf 3 years ago.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 14th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Welcome aboard!! :yth: I also prefer the RF as there's more usable space imo. There have been a ton of smokers built from those 275 gal tanks. I believe that there's a set of plans for that tank at smokerplans.net.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » April 15th, 2019, 3:58 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Cgrnh

Post by Cgrnh » April 18th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Thank you everyone for the information.
Looks like I will be going with the RF smoker instead of the off set. I am thinking that the better control is the way that I am wanting to go.
I will be looking around for a set of plans to try and compare the different builds that people have done.
Any suggestions of where to look other than smokerplans.net?

Thank You
Chris

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 18th, 2019, 10:12 pm

I know there are some builds here from those tanks but I’m afraid you will just have to spend some time on the site looking at builds to find them.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”