MMA or MIG/MAG welder

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Newsmoke
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

MMA or MIG/MAG welder

Post by Newsmoke » April 12th, 2019, 9:01 pm

As i am planning my new build I am going to purchase a welder however I struggle to decide if I should go for the MIG/MAG or MMA welder.
I will be doing most of my weld outdoor but as you all know we do have some length to weld sometimes and using a stick welder on last build was a bit of trouble (very cheap). However due to my Budget around 600USD (500euros) it is easier to have a quality MMA then a MIG/MAG (that I would be using without gas as it's outdoor).

What are you thoughts and advice? Dirtytires I did take note of your comment but wanted to have several opinion. Thanks a lot

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Re: MMA or MIG/MAG welder

Post by Chromeski » April 13th, 2019, 1:04 am

I'm a huge fan of the mig welders. If you get an mma one I would go for one that's an expert in jujitsu with a background in kickboxing as well.

JKalchik
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » April 14th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Chromeski wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 1:04 am
I'm a huge fan of the mig welders.
Remember that you can run flux core wire in a MIG process which will let you weld in a light breeze. Some MIG welders are flux core only (no provision for shielding gas.)

I've been told my multiple people that dual shield (flux core with shielding gas) lays down a very nice bead.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

Newsmoke
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Newsmoke » April 14th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Just saw that it is in the wrong section. Admin could you please transfer it to the welding section. Sorry about that

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » April 15th, 2019, 10:25 am

JKalchik wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 11:47 pm
Chromeski wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 1:04 am
I'm a huge fan of the mig welders.
Remember that you can run flux core wire in a MIG process which will let you weld in a light breeze. Some MIG welders are flux core only (no provision for shielding gas.)

I've been told my multiple people that dual shield (flux core with shielding gas) lays down a very nice bead.
Sorry, bad joke... yes I know many of those small units have no gas hookup. If it were me I'd definitely be looking for one with gas hookup. Never tried the dual shield all I can't say.

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”