Grilleye Pro - My Honest Opinion

smacznego

Grilleye Pro - My Honest Opinion

Post by smacznego » February 12th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I didn't know the right place for it so I'm hoping Frank can move this if I have put it in the wrong place. I wanted to give my honest opinion of a temperature probe I bought, in the hopes that it can help someone else make a decision before they spend roughly $100 on it. I don't really have much good to say about it. I have a few probes from Thermoworks and others. The Grilleye falls short and does not make my cut. Here are my observations:

1) The only thing the device uses WIFI for is to download a firmware update. And the internal antenna is junk. I was setting on top of my access point in the same room and the signal read 1 bar.
2) You cannot silence the alarms from your app on the phone. You have to hit the button on the device.
3) If the device disconnects from the app on your phone, then the device changes back to Celsius, and then it starts alarming. See previous entry.
4) It disconnects from my phone after walking only 20' away. See previous entry. For example, if you put a prime rib in the oven and go to your garage with the phone, then your wife gets to listen to the thing alarm the whole time.
5) When you disconnect a probe, you cannot connect a different one and change the setting. It keeps wanting the old preset for that probe. I had to unhook everything and power it off. For example, when the duck on probe 1 is done, you cannot disconnect it and put something else in probe 1. It will not let you change what you have on that probe.
6) You cannot shut off the device if it is plugged in to charge or if there is a probe plugged in. It just keeps turning itself back on. So if you are charging it you have to stand within 20' of it because if you don't it will start alarming because your phone disconnects.
7) The predictive feature does not work. I cannot delete my food history for a probe so it does not know how to predict when my chicken will be done because it is using ALL history in the device for that probe, even from 6 months ago. The only way to delete the history is to reset the device to factory defaults, then I lose my custom temperature ranges.
8) The charging port is wedged in a cone type depression that is hard to get the cord to plug into.
9) It can take a minute or two for the graph to load on the temperature history. This seemed to be only isolated to probe port 1 though.
10) Did not come with any instructions
11) I could not get the low end temperature to go below 34 degrees. It keeps resetting back to 34 degrees. Maybe I did not read the specs right when I bought it.
12) Magnet is worse than a cheap refrigerator magnet. When I put more than two probes on, the weight of the probes make the magnet not hold to anything. Which means I have to put it on top of whatever my cooking media is.
13) The outside is made of cheap plastic. I thought the outside rings of black were rubber, which would help because of how many times the thing comes crashing to the ground, refer to previous entry, the magnets don't hold.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Grilleye Pro - My Honest Opinion

Post by Dirtytires » February 12th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Good feedback...their is a lot of grilling gadgets out on the market that look really flashy but don’t work too well. I think one of the issues we have is we need a thermometer/probe setup to work perfectly for a 12 hour cook and need it to work every time. Most of the flashy stuff just isn’t that good.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » February 13th, 2019, 4:15 am

I got to #7 and decided it's time to return for a refund. Thanks for the review

JKalchik
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » February 13th, 2019, 8:26 am

I think that my addiction to all things Thermoworks, and my HeaterMeter, are pretty intact.

If nothing else, their claim of "the first food probe, world wide, to be approved by the FDA" should be a red flag. The FDA has no authority outside the US of A..... and I'm pretty sure that Thermoworks would take exception with that claim.

For anybody who's looking at this, look at Thermorworks for their Signals or Smoke product.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

smacznego

Post by smacznego » February 13th, 2019, 1:15 pm

JKalchik wrote:I think that my addiction to all things Thermoworks, and my HeaterMeter, are pretty intact.

If nothing else, their claim of "the first food probe, world wide, to be approved by the FDA" should be a red flag. The FDA has no authority outside the US of A..... and I'm pretty sure that Thermoworks would take exception with that claim.

For anybody who's looking at this, look at Thermorworks for their Signals or Smoke product.
I agree. I have the DOT, mk4 and two ProNeedles from Thermoworks. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”