500 gallon (i guess reverse)

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
tmaven
beginner
beginner

500 gallon (i guess reverse)

Post by tmaven » November 6th, 2018, 2:37 am

Hello everyone!

I would like to build 500 gallon smoker (Ordered 0.26x100x42-inch tube).

I want to have stable temperatures across the smoker. Not sure if I can handle same temperatures across 100-inch normal offset smoker. (But I saw video of Moberg Smokers and that was pretty accurrate!). Normal/Reverse? Would like to do one type of meat (pulled pork with ribs or alone briskets).

But I have few questions regarding the build.

I used calculator: Click here : bbq pit calc

Firebox:
35x35x35 (102%)

Chimney:
Round 8x42

But I have few questions:
Green question mark: As per calculator, this should be 343 in^2. That is pretty clear, but.. How should I cut it? Leave some space from top (as heat shield). Or it should be in same level as top of firebox.

Orange question mark: I guess this should be exactly same as firebox > cooking chamber hole (343 in^2). Right?

Brown question mark: I will have cylinder shape, so there is no "tank round shape" to help the airflow. Do you you any bent plate to have "fake tank round" shape?

Red question mark: Hole for chimney will be round 8-inch as rest of chimney. Right? Do you count chimney lenght from hole or from top of smoker?

Thanks a lot!
woZyHTT.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: 500 gallon (i guess reverse)

Post by Dirtytires » November 6th, 2018, 11:57 am

—- the top of the firebox is usually the bottom of the baffle plate.

—- yes, best if gap is same size as throat.

—- a tank obviously has a bell on each end and a pipe does not. You don’t need to do anything special in this area as either will work.

—-in theory, the thickness of the smoker would indeed count as chiminey legnth but we are only talking about 0.25 inch so not really a factor.

Sounds like a big build....you cooking for an army?

tmaven
beginner
beginner

Post by tmaven » November 7th, 2018, 12:09 am

Dirtytires wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 11:57 am
—- the top of the firebox is usually the bottom of the baffle plate.

—- yes, best if gap is same size as throat.

—- a tank obviously has a bell on each end and a pipe does not. You don’t need to do anything special in this area as either will work.

—-in theory, the thickness of the smoker would indeed count as chiminey legnth but we are only talking about 0.25 inch so not really a factor.

Sounds like a big build....you cooking for an army?
thanks Dirtytires! Well want to open bbq joint in Czech Republic with proper smokers. I have my custom offset (120x60 cm), where I can smoke just +-30kg of meat. Plus I have different temperatures across the CC due to wrong layout. So this time I want to be 100% sure what I'm doing. It wont be cheap build. :chef:

Chromeski
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Chromeski » November 7th, 2018, 1:57 am

I believe chimney height refers to distance from top of cc. Your image shows chimney coming from side of cc. I may be wrong here, but I think you need to calculate from top of cc.

tmaven
beginner
beginner

Post by tmaven » November 17th, 2018, 6:21 am

progress
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chromeski
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Chromeski » November 17th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Got the biggest part done

tmaven
beginner
beginner

Post by tmaven » Today, 2:55 am

So first "blue print" ..

FB to CC is 400 in^2 (2 580 cm^2)

CC - plate opening is little more.

Have question regarding space between first cooking grade and that opening. Should I leave space there? (12 cm currently 4.72 in) (that red line on picture 2)

Plate will have little tilt (from 40 cm to 38 cm; V shape). So it will leave 10 cm (3.93inch) between cooking grade and plate.

Any recommendation?

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”