Insulate 100 Gallon Propane RF

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
ssurles268

Insulate 100 Gallon Propane RF

Post by ssurles268 » October 30th, 2018, 8:48 pm

I have a 100 gallon propane tank RF smoker. I have not used it in years because I have a superior smoker and the ease of a gravity fed insulated smoker is just too easy. I am thinking of merging the two ideas. A gravity feed reverse flow.

Question is has anyone insulated an entire propane tank? I would like to see others ideas on this. Initial thought is 2” of insulation. I think I can do this by forming 2” angle iron to the tank then cover with 16 gauge sheet.

A large feeder tube on top of fire box and coal basket.

Dual Guru’s

Any thoughts on this and especially has anyone attempted to insulate a propane tank.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Insulate 100 Gallon Propane RF

Post by Big T » October 30th, 2018, 9:36 pm

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you can figure out a way to insulate it but it'll probably be tough to do seeing as it's already built. There was a build on here a few years ago where they built a chute that could be fastened to the top of the FB and it could be ran gravity fed. I remember the builder said that it did work but it took a lot of charcoal to maintain temp.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Insulate 100 Gallon Propane RF

Post by Rodcrafter » October 31st, 2018, 6:14 am

The baffle plate and the top of the FB gets most of the heat from an offset. By the time they use the fuel there's little left for the real cooking heat. The best way to do a GF is vertical where the heat gets used by the right item getting hot.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”